Quality of Life in 07481>Question Details

Lisa, Other/Just Looking in Wyckoff, NJ

I have a failed cesspool on my property. I need to get a new septic system put in. My house was built in

Asked by Lisa, Wyckoff, NJ Sat Feb 9, 2008

1951 and the system is original. I have a house that is three bedrooms, but the people that sold the property to me converted on of the bedrooms to a study. It now has two doors as which to come in and out. I plan on doing some renovation and need to get a system that is functional for a three bedroom house and out town engineer is saying that we can only put in a system that would sustain a 2 bedroom house. The 2 bedroom septic system would go beyond the setbacks of my property almost just as much as the three bedroom would. Doesn't the Town have to allow me to at least put in a system that will sustain 3 Bedrooms if that is the way the original house was built and used as??

Answers

3
Agreed that relying on an expert opinion who knows these regulations and can provide a solution to your challenging, but workable inspection concern is your best route. There are several towns in Bergen County where homeowners have this concern to work thru. Septic Systems, like real estate, are not "One Size Fits All." There are many options on how to solve your concerns. But all will depend on setback guidelines and the survey of your property. I would talk to an installation expert to see if there may be any "Out of the Box" solutions that might be allowed by the town engineer and that are not being considered at this point. I had a very challenging install that was professionally and creatively handled for a buyer I worked with in Oakland last year. The company doing the work was:

Affordable Septics & Excavating Corp
(201) 337-677817 Wenonah Ave., Oakland, NJ 07436

Give them a call. They were fabulous!
The most important thing to do is to check with the Building Department and the Tax Accessor to see what their records are in the Town of Wyckoff. Just because someone used a bedroom as a Den, does not mean it's not recorded as a 3rd bedroom. Make copies of any documents they will allow. Setback lines and property size are a big issue in most towns regarding Septics. However, Grand-fathered properties and non-conforming properties will fall into different guidelines. If there should be sewer on the Street, this is the time to do connect!
Septic Systems can be a tricky issue, especially with the post-1990 NJ state requirements. To confirm the town engineer's comment, I would call Bill Severs at (201) 447-2340. He is a septic installer/escavator that' been around forever. See if there are any alternative methods that he has installed like a larger turkey-mound or aerator system etc. If so, find that engineer that designed the system. I would ask Wyckoff's engineer "What if the home was kept as a 3BR home.. then what?"

Tom Johnson
Liberty 100 Realty
liberty@njrealestate.com