Quality of Life in 30314>Question Details

Richard, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I found a house but its on a block with large POWER LINES overhead. Are there any dangers or is that a myth?

Asked by Richard, Atlanta, GA Sat Apr 26, 2008

I went to the property at night and I can hear the "hummmm" of the power boxes overhead . On some blocks the hummm is very loud but on others the humm is very low but I can hear it none the less... Im wondering if thats dangerous in any way or is the electric waves from power lines as harmless as cell phone , radio or tv waves...?

Answers

8
William M "Mack" Perry’s answer
You can find studies that support both sides of your question. The danger in purchasing this home is to your wallet. Generally homes located near power lines take longer to sell and they sell for less than comparable homes. In today's buyer's market, I would recommend that you find a different property.
There are articles to support myth and articles to support fact... what I can tell you is that a home on a power line is a hard home to sell and resale. There are just too many people that believe in the dangerous idea.

I would search for a home that is not on a power line... the hummm noise alone would remind me of the power lines being there. You want to take advantage of this market to find a great home for a great price...not a home with problems or bad location.
Web Reference: http://www.HomesByLorie.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 26, 2008
There are studies linking the high voltage lines to cancer and studies showing they are harmless. Either way they are very difficult to sell because no one wants to be a forty year guinea pig and many consider them to be an eyesore.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 26, 2008
Richard,

I read through all 3 of your questions and the subsequent answers. You are wise to seek a good buy in Vine City - on a tree lined street, maybe on a bluff or ridge overlooking the downtown skyline with a remarkable view - properties that fit this description are in Vine City!

Nevertheless, Vine City is a house by house, street by street neighborhood. I have been concerned for my safety more than once on some of the streets of Vine City. You need to be duly diligent, secure and smart.

At the same time, you seem to have a grasp of the obvious - the issue about powerlines is a compromise that will surely leave you powerless when you decide to resell.

Why don't you buy the old English Avenue school and renovate it into some cool contemporary lofts?

Get your real estate on.
Richard,

If you are having these concerns then so will any buyer who considers buying your home when you go to sell it. This should be enough evidence for you to make your decision.
Richard-MHO is unless you are getting a fantastic deal on the house that will take into account the negative resale position of the home for the reasons you stated in your question, I'd look elsewhere. All your answers so far have pointed you it seems it that direction. Good Luck.
Graham
Regarding houses near large power lines, there's still no definitive evidence on whether the electromagnetic fields pose a risk to those living nearby. However, there's a perception among many buyers that they do pose a risk. And the constant humming sound is both an annoyance and a constant reminder of the lines.

If you buy, it will be far more difficult to sell than if the same property weren't near the power lines. And if there is some danger of being so close to the electromagnetic fields, you might not want to live there at all.

If you can, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
You may wish to contact Georgia Power about them. They have information to educate people about power lines. Some other research may be good also.
Web Reference: http://www.purrfecthome.com