Virginia, Other/Just Looking in Philadelphia, PA

I am researching areas in Cumberland and Dauphin, PA counties? Could you give me your insights?

Asked by Virginia, Philadelphia, PA Mon Jun 9, 2008

My family is considering moving from Phila area to either Cumberland or Dauphin county. We are looking for a small-town feel with quality schools and a safe community. We also need to be near a good hospital for my elderly mom who lives with us. Finally, we are looking for affordable housing ($300 -350,000) range. Do you have any recommendations?

Answers

12
Beth Williamson’s answer
Hi Virginia,
I am a native of the area and a relocation realtor with 15 years experience helping families finding homes that best meet their needs. I can highly recommend Central Pa as a great fit for you. There are several small towns that offer quality schools, a safe community and access to excellent medical facilities. We have many beautiful homes available in the price range you have indicated. I would be happy to email you possibilities that meet your criteria or if you prefer, you can search my website at http://www.jgr.com/beth.williamson or you can call my cell at 717.571.1796 for an immediate response.
I would recomend the Camp Hill or Enola area. This area gives you quick and easy access to Harrisburg and even Hershey. Many excellent hospitals, Holy Spirit in Camp Hill, Pinnacle Health System 9Harrisburg Hospital, and Hershey Med. Plenty of docotors and specialists near each of these hospitals.
Both Cumberland and Dauphin Co. have areas that would meet your needs as to the specifics you have mentioned. Areas in Cumberland co. tend to be priced a bit higher but the taxes are lower. Both co. have some excellent school districts. Boils down to where you may be working and just simply where you would feel more comfortable. I would be glad to send you some listings via email from both co. if you would like.
Give me some specifics as to what type of home you prefer, bedrooms etc.
Thanks for your time. I would love the opportunity to help you find the perfect home.
I'm not an agent but living here I would recommend the following:
Hershey-great schools, near Hershey Med Center, high taxes (Hummelstown is the suburb area but make sure you are buying in Hershey schools)
Camp Hill-Norman Rockwell like with little holiday parades and great sense of community, public school is small and everyone knows everyone, near Holy Spirit Hospital, houses are older
Cumberland Valley School District-huge school (graduating about 600 last year) but lots of neighborhoods with new or recent construction for resale, lots of families, Hampden Township (in this area) has the lowest taxes in the area.
I know the Central Pennsylvania area from personal experience. If you ask a question I can't answer, I will contact someone who can. I know School Districts, Shopping Areas, Recreation Facilities & most important, current market values. I Will work with and for you to make your Real Estate wants, needs & desires my priority commitment.
Cumberland County is where you want to be. The average home price is approx. $182,000, the county has the lowest unemployment rate in the state of Pennsylvania. Excellent road systems, I-81,I-76, US Routes 15 and 11 can get you anywhere in PA. Good Hospitals in Camp Hill (Holy Spirit) and a brand new (2 years olf) state-of-the-art hospital in Carlisle (Carlisle Regional). You will be very pleased with what you can purchase in Cumberland County for $300-$350 compared to Philly! Much lower cost of living also. I used to live in Pittsburgh and Philly and here now for over 20 years and love it.
Hi Virginia- I lived all my life in the Cumberland/Dauphin areas. I attended the West Shore School District and it is a great place to live. Homes are affordable and the cost of living is, too. Feel free to contact me or peruse my website. I have direct access with maps and filters to or local MLS. Thanks!!
Hi Virginia - I live in New Cumberland and love this area - it is a really nice 'samll' town feel with our own movie cinema ($2-3 for a movie!), schools are great (I have all my four children through this school system over the last 8 years!). I am sure you would love to live here too! Call me if you want to discuss anything more...Hope this helps!
Hi Virginia,
From your description, I would say New Cumberland would be a great fit for you. It has a small town feel yet is near Harrisburg and all major highways. The school district is West Shore. The town is minutes from Holy Spirit hospital and Pinnacle Health. You can find school and other local information at http://www.harrisburbs.net . Best of luck with your pending move!

Demetri
Virginia,

Each of the counties in which you are considering will fulfill what you are looking for based on the information that you have provided. If you email me directly, I can further assist you in more detail. I have helped several buyers transition to this area, and would welcome the opportunity to help you and your family as well.

Sarah
spratt@pruhomesaleservices.com
I agree with George that you should use a Realtor. In addition, I would like to add that I recently helped a family relocating from Florida with similar needs find a home in the same price range. I would be glad to help your family as well.
My suggestion is to use a realtor. My contact info is below.