Quality of Life in Charlotte>Question Details

nicholaswalk…, Home Buyer in 07920

I am looking into moving to the Charlotte area with my family next year from NJ. My kids are 4 and 5..where are the best schools.?

Asked by nicholaswalker, 07920 Wed Oct 9, 2013

Answers

7
Hi Nicholas!

Congrats on making a decision to move to the area and welcome to Charlotte!

Realtors are not allowed to disclose certain information, but we can guide you to places like http://www.greatschools.org which can provide you with such information. I focus mostly on South Charlotte which has some very nice areas.

Email me directly with a bit more about your move and your criteria and I can help guide you through your relocation. It wouldn't cost you anything extra to use me as a buyer.

John Siddons
john.siddons@bhhscarolinas.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 9, 2013
Nicholaswalker,

I moved here form Connecticut six and half years ago with my family and four young children. Like you schools were the most important thing I was looking for in a place to live. I live in Matthews. But I found there are a lot of different areas of Charlotte that have excellent schools. Charlotte boasts some of the top schools in the state. Part of the decision on schools you have to factor in the price range you want to look at. Some homes can go for $100,000 more because they are located in one school district versus another.

Another area a lot of people look (myself included) was in Union County. Towns like Marvin Ridge, waxhaw, Indian Trail, and weddington are very popular for their schools as well.

My best advice is to talk to a Realtor tell them what you are looking for in terms of a home that can fit the school requirement for you. I would love the opportunity to help you out as well. Having children in everything from elementary school through High School I have learned a great deal about the school system in Charlotte area and might be able to help guide you.

Dave diCecco
Realtor/Broker
Helen Adams Realty
ddicecco@helenadamsrealty.com
http://www.davedicecco.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 9, 2013
Thanks for the quick answer. I know I need to drive around and get a feel for value down there. It is amazing the price fluctuations in neighborhoods. Thats what is throwing me of. Id like to spend no more than $350000 cash. If I cant find what Im looking for, then Ill get a mortgage for up to $500k or so. My priorities are schools first...close shopping/docs/parks and the usual things you want in a town/neighborhood second. My home preference is colonial-2500-3500 sq ft/basement . Clear Backyard. Established neighborhoods preferred..but will look at new construction. I dont want a house to renovate. Ive realized its almost impossible to do with small kids. Easy access to main highways a plus. Any advice/areas to focus on before I drive down would be really appreciated.

-Nick
Flag Wed Oct 9, 2013
Hi Nicholas - There is a little neighborhood tucked away in Cabarrus County called Porters Landing. It is about 5 miles from I-485 (the beltway around Charlotte) about 35 minutes to Charlotte-Douglas Airport and the people in the neighborhood love being there and love the schools. They are Bethel Cabarrus Elementary and Hickory Ridge Middle & Hickory Ridge High School. The neighborhood itself is in an 'unincorporated' area of the county meaning it has only County taxes - no city taxes.
There are transplants from all over the country in the neighborhood and even some folks born and raised in this area.

For checking schools a good resource is http://www.reportcards.org and you'll find a better resource is parents whose children go to those schools if someone can put you in touch with them.

I'll be happy to help any way I can.
Diane Zima
Southern Homes of the Carolinas
704-701-1288
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 9, 2013
South Charlotte and the Ardrey Kell High School and "feeder" middle/elementary schools are also terrific schools.
Flag Wed Oct 9, 2013
Good afternoon, Nick.
You may want to read the Trulia Real Estate Blog http://www.trulia.com/blog/dfisher/2013/03/what_are_the_best… There are a lot of great schools in our area. If you focus on the east side of Lake Norman, South Charlotte, Union County and north York County, you will get a great overview of the area. If before you come down, you get a list of homes in your target price range, you can do a tour to these homes and see the areas along the way. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service - and the above free list.. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 13, 2013
Selwyn Elementary or Myers Park Traditional
Nicolas,

As a realtor, but more importantly a mother of young children, I can honestly say that you are making a great decision to come to the Charlotte area! There are a lot of opinions about the schools in the Charlotte area, but I truly believe that it is about knowing your children and what they need to succeed. Before I became a realtor, I was a social worker and I can tell you that even children who go to schools performing poorly, but who had great parental support at home, succeed in academics and life. With that said, there are a lot of websites that will give you 'grades' on various schools, but there is nothing like visiting the schools in person and talking to the administrators and teachers. You will be amazed at what you can learn from a quick visit and no one knows your children's needs more than you.

Charlotte and the surrounding communities offer many public schools, but also several charter school options if you prefer a smaller environment for your child without the private school tuition. We have renowned private schools, but they are pricey and one of the reasons I find many of my northern relocation clients come down to this area is to escape the high cost of living, which is negated by paying tuition.

As someone who has preschool and elementary aged children, I understand how important our children are. I would be happy to speak with you more in detail about the different areas in and around Charlotte to ensure that your decision is one that everyone in your family is comfortable and happy with. Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.

Stephanie Blackburn, REALTOR
DL Morton Realty
704-759-6168
sblackburn@dlmortonrealty.com
http://www.thecarolinashomefinder.com
First, if you can afford it go to a Private school - like Providence Day. Then you can live wherever you want. The best schools in Charlotte are Private.

For public schools, Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) are poorly run. It is a big centralized school system run by government bureaucrats - the towns in a circle around downtown Charlotte generally fall within their control. If you want something poorly run, let the Government do it for you. However, there are a few good areas around the city - Myers Park and the Ballantyne area are two good ones (Ballantyne has an annual drive to secede from Mecklenburg county!)

If you go a bit further South to Union County there are good schools - some mentioned below in the Waxhaw, Weddington, Marvin areas. Union County also has generally cheaper homes and lower property tax rates than Mecklenburg County.

I am not a realtor, just a Northerner that moved down and looked at ~1,000 houses for 3 years before finally buying one....and yes, my realtor is now a good friend!
Hi Tom, may I know where you moved to? I am single and dont really care about the schools but then dont want to be troubled because of that when it comes time for sale. I live in Mooresville but ready for a move up home. Looking to relocate from exit 33 to 23 on I 77 S for obvious reasons - traffic at Lake Norman. I am in IT and may end up working uptown a year from now even though currently I work from home.

I found some nice homes by Legendary on the east side of Gilead road past Vermillion but honestly am not a big fan of that side of the area. Liked the Waxhaw, Weddington area but may end up going from one hell to another in terms of traffic. My price range is in the upper 300's. For some time I have been thinking of Lincoln county like Stanly, NC (Tree Tops) or Denver, NC like Bonterra builders. You see I am caught between all these options. ( MI homes is building a 90 home community next year in Huntersville on Ranson Road, should I wait). Any advice, any one ?
Flag Mon Sep 22, 2014