Foxefyre@aol…, Other/Just Looking in 90001

I am considering moving to Port Ochard, Washington (fom L.A., CA).

Asked by Foxefyre@aol.com, 90001 Fri Aug 22, 2008

Can any locals tell me what living there is like? I'm considering a 3BR/2BA home in the Strawberry Hills district.

Answers

9
I'm so sorry for this last person's experience in Port Orchard. I apologize for the entire community. I found it quite friendly when I relocated here. I have helped six other families from S CA, most have totally enjoyed the experience of having so much nature, especially access to the Sound. One family missed the warmer CA weather and moved back. By the the time their house sold here, they wished they had not made the decision to leave. Whatever you decide, renting might be a good option until you see how your family reacts to this "nature loving/mountain climbing/boating /sailing" world.
I am considering a visit to Port Orchard to take a look around and see what the real estate is like. I might look at renting before buying, but was curious what the rental rates are like. I am retired and would need a pet friendly place. I live in Klamath Falls, OR so not concerned about the weather. Actually I think it's cooler in the summers in Port Orchard than here and I like the coastal areas and rain doesn't bother me. I was in Port Orchard many many years ago and loved it then. Any suggestions on reasonable lodging when I come to visit? Can be emailed at oregonrn@charter.net. Is there decent healthcare there? Can you drive to Port Orchard or do you have to take the ferry, I don't remember from my trip years ago. I'd like a quiet, friendly community to move into. Thank you for any info you can supply. Sherry DeBarbieri
Flag Sat Sep 27, 2014
Strawberry hills or anywhere in Port Orchard is an AWESOME place to live in. I moved here, and cannot imagine any other place to be. A Ferry ride from Seattle or Bremerton, over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, a few hours from beautiful BC, Canada, plenty of things/events to join in, or not. Please visit my website for more info. If there is anything else you need,contact me. The best is to take some time off and visit, there are lots of places to stay at.
Web Reference: http://www.diannedibley.com
How many times does this site recycle the same old questions. I've been working with this person for a year, and like she says, "Just Looking". This is not a new question.....it's a year old.

Jean Bradford
Associate Broker, ABR,GRI,CRS,CRB
Silverdale, WA 98383
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 26, 2009
This works both ways.....I have a buyer planning to move back up here from S. CA this summer. They found on the internet, that the house they used to own was on the market, and wanted to buy it back, but have to wait until the school year ends! This state population just keeps growing! One of us moves up here and in a few years there are several family members up here, too!
LOL,

Jean Bradford
Associate Broker, ABR,GR,CRS,CRB
John L. Scott RE
Silverdale, WA
800-482-4398
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 4, 2009
we did this 4 years ago, from LA to Port Orchard & we only lasted 10 months. It was soooo cold & depressing compared to So Cal, a complete shock to the system. The people are weird too, and they totally take advantage when they can (you thought LA was bad!). I recommend renting for atleast a year before you buy, we wish we would have done that. We are still stuck with a house that we cannot sell, and our renters are a pain. Just beware of all those "rosey comments" your recieving from the people of port orchard...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 4, 2009
So sorry to hear that WA didn't agree with you but I may be able to help you with that house you can't sell, I'm a buyer/seller and maybe we can work something out.
Donna Chamberlin
ohcocoa4me@yahoo.com or call 253 514-3741
Flag Sun May 20, 2012
LA and Port Orchard couldn't be further apart. I love Port Orchard, but I'm also kind of a "Country Girl". It's a great town. I bought a rental property there and have several friends that live there.

Upsides: Smaller town, clean and green, homes are less expensive and typically have more lot size, Seattle is a ferry ride away, Bremerton is very close, etc, etc, etc.

Downsides: Can kind of get a bit stir crazy if you are wanting a lot of "action", you have to cross the toll bridge and pay every time you want to go to Tacoma or east of Kitsap County, Ferry to Seattle can be a bit spending if doing often, etc.

I would recommend that before committing to a home purchase, you come and visit Port Orchard, Bremerton, Tacoma, Puyallup, Seattle, Etc. Make sure that this is where you want to be.

Julie O'Brien
RE/MAX Masters
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 26, 2008
I lived in Strawberry Hill in Port Orchard for over 7 years and moved out of there just a year ago. (my husband wanted to have pet ducks!) Strawberry Hill is a community of about 95 houses built from early 80's to mid 90's. There is division 1 and 2. (1 being older and in the west side loop, 2 being newer and closer to the 8 acre community park). I loved living there. Here in the Pacific Northwest, it is not overly common to have closed neighborhoods with spacious lots. All of the homes are on 1/2 acre lots. It is quiet except Halloween. It is such a great neighborhood people from all over truck kids in (including me!) I am a Realtor in Port Orchard (last 7 years) and would be glad to answer any other questions about Port Orchard. What part of CA are you from? I lived in the Bay area for my first 13 years, graduated in San Joaquin county and moved to WA over 19 years ago... never moving back!
Shari Weber
http://www.ShariWeber.net
Prudential Northwest Real Estate
Port Orchard, WA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 25, 2008
Strawberry Hills is a delightful little community south of Port Orchard. This little town is across the water from Seattle so one can live a quiet "country" life and yet take a ferry to Seattle for concerts or just the "city" experience. The folks are so friendly, you'll think someone alerted them to be extra nice to you, but that's just they way they are. You should come see us.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 22, 2008
I made the same type of move a few years back. Strawberry Hills is an older neighborhood. I wouldnt recommend that neighborhood in particular but there are nice areas of town for sure. That neighborhood is across from an older mobile park. The main difference is there are seasons here in WA more than CA. The people are more laid back and there isnt alot going on all the time so people take a slower pace. Most jobs in this area are at the shipyard. Good work and stable employment. That makes for law abiding people (they have to in order to keep their security clearance) and good economy. No place is perfect but there are nice areas.