Quality of Life in Chicago>Question Details

Vicky, Other/Just Looking in Denver, CO

I am considering moving to Chicago for work but still need some convincing

Asked by Vicky, Denver, CO Mon Oct 6, 2008

Currently I am residing in Denver with my husband and 2 golden retrievers. We have a spacious house with a spacious yard, 2 car parking etc. The weather has been awesome since we've arrived here, a little over a year ago. Extremely dry but the blue skies and every day sunshine make you forget about that pretty easily. A lot of outdoorsy people, lots of activities. I guess the weather and access to "nature" are my biggest concerns. I don't want my dogs to live in a concrete jungle...and that is my perception of chicago at this point. I've only been there a couple of times and never really took a tour outside of the downtown area though.

Answers

4
Hi Vicky,
I actually just moved to Chicago from Denver about a year and a half ago. The weather has definitely taken some getting used to, but it is so great to experience 4 seasons of the year, which you sometimes don't get to see in Denver. It is hard to beat the wilderness of Colorado and the stunning views, however, Chicago does have the lake, and tons of trails, and quick trips if you want to get out of town and go camping for the weekend. Chicago also has several really great parks where your dogs can run around. Next time you visit, you will have to get out and around in the city to see all of the different neighborhoods that we have, and experience the great culture outside of the downtown area. If you have any other questions about the Denver to Chicago transition, please let me know.
Vicky!

Great question. We look forward to having you, your husband and dogs here in Chicago. I don't want to repeat the great answers here but you definitely need to get outside the downtown area next time you visit. Rent a bike, grab a cab, or hop on a train and explore! That downtown area is our Central business district and most 'touristy' part of town. It's not the only thing Chicago has going for it!

Chicago is made up of over 70 little neighborhoods (some Chicagoans would say it's more like 200!) Every little village has it's own set of parks, dog parks, trails and excellent outdoor activities for the whole family. Depending on your needs, wants and wallet size, you can find homes in Chicago with excellent lot sizes for the dogs. And you won't have to go to the suburbs to find them.

You'll get used to the weather and start to love having 4 real seasons.

When your search gets more serious, feel free to contact me for additional questions, advice and a tour of Chicago! I love what I do and am always happy to help.

Scott Shapiro
7739882069
scottshapiro@atproperties.com
@properties
# 1 in Chicago!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 8, 2008
Hi Vicky,
Denver sounds like a great place. I have often thought how nice it would be to live in Denver with those mountains and beautiful landscapes. However the altitude was not good for my head when I visited.

I am a native of Chicago and absolutely love it. It is probably one of the most diverse cities in the country. Yes we do have 4 seasons which makes it conducive to many activities both indoors and outdoors. We have a beautiful skyline on Lake Michigan with beaches, harbors and parks. Our city and suburbs are rich with cultural events, sports of every choice, parks, Summer Festivals, and the most wonderful Ethnic Food you can imagine! Our Sox are still in contention, although the Cubbies missed it this year. Wait till next year! Our Industry diversity offers a more stable work environment than many cities. But most important is you can have the lifestyle of your dreams. City living, suburban living, and still a drives distance to skiing, boating, bed and breakfasts, sports events, Forest Preserves, and quaint towns with shopping. This is truly a city that has it all.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 8, 2008
You just sold me on Denver. Now I want to move to Denver.

Honestly though, it just depends on what you're looking for. I've grown up my whole life here and I live in the western suburbs. The farther you get away from the city, the more open are you'll find. Some of the suburbs surrounding the City can included forest preserves with walking and bike paths. Farther suburbs can find more open land.

You can find "choices" here.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 6, 2008