Quality of Life in Phoenix>Question Details

Kevin1, Other/Just Looking in Phoenix, AZ

I am a laid off us airways employee, thinking of transferring to Phoenix. Where is a good place to raise a family and work at the airport?

Asked by Kevin1, Phoenix, AZ Thu Feb 24, 2011

Brye Baker’s answer
Hi Kevin,

Phoenix is a fantastic place to live, work and play! As I am sure you can imagine there are many great areas in town to choose from. If you want to stay close the the airport there are some great family friendly neighborhood withing 15 minutes of Sky Harbor in a wide variety of price ranges to fit what you are looking for. Stop by my site http://www.UrbanPhoenixRealty.com to learn more and search active homes!
Hi Kevin,
There are many great places in the valley to raise a family so it's really going to come down to what you are looking for and what kind of commute time you are wanting to stay in. Any place with easy freeway access will shorten your commute. Assuming you have a normal 9-5 schedule going against traffic will get you to work sooner. Most of Tempe is about a 10-15 min (up to 25 min with traffic) commute from the airport. Tempe is also where US Airways offices are located. Ahwatukee (south east Phoenix) is another area with access to I10 and you could be at the airport within 15 min (up to 30 min with traffic). Parts of Chandler and Scottsdale will also be in that under 30 min commute time so it's really going to depend on what areas you like. Most cities have homes in most price points so I always tell clients it's best to just tour the different areas and see for yourself what best fits your family's needs. If you have any additional questions or would like to receive a list of homes just let me know.

Warmest Regards from your AZ Realtor!!

Alex Inskeep, ABR, REOS
Associate Broker
Web Reference: http://www.HomesByAlex.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
This is a HUGE city with many great options. It's always best for buyers to explore and discover what fits them the best since everyone is different.
Hi Kevin,

Glad to hear that you are considering relocating to Phoenix! There are many great family neighborhoods near the airport. To make some recommendations for you and help to narrow the wide variety of homes, there are several questions that you want to consider. How far of a commute to work are you comfortable with; What is your price range; Are you renting or buying; How many bedrooms; What ammenities in the community are important; Are you looking for a single family home/townhome; What community events/social events are important to you?
hello we have this quinta in morelia michoacan, mexico, and yes we are about 15 minutes away from our international airport, and yes we have the best schools in our state pretty close too, and shoping malls, etc. i´m sure you can raise you´re family in a pretty good eviroment and coffe shops and good restaurant are close too. so go ahead take a look to morelia, and i´m sure you will love it, specially the great weather. thank you.
As you can see it depends on many factors. Put a list together of the things that are important to you and
discuss them with your agent. Factors to determine are:

Schools - do you have kids and a good schoold district is important to you?
Commute - how far is it acceptable to you?
Type of housing - do you want a single family home, or a condo will do?
Lifestyle - do you prefer to be at a busy city center or suburb?
Crime - this one is usually important to everybody!
Price range.

If you want to research the information above, I have a section on my website with several links that will help you determine what is the best area for you based on what is most important to you.

PS - I like the Chandler area, but I might be biased since I live there!

Carlos J. Ramírez, PC, ABR, CNE
Associate Broker/Realtor, HomeSmart -

Also, It will depend upon what type of commute you want. I have a friend that is a pilot and he lives way out in east Mesa.

It doesn't take 10 minutes from the 202 exit to get into the airport. I live 15 minutes (unless at rush hour then a little more than this) from the airport and I live in Northeast Mesa.

Ahwatukee, Tempe, South Chandler, Gilbert and parts of Mesa all have great areas. Scottsdale does, but higher priced. In the past the SE part of the valley also seemed to have a little stronger comeback after our down market in the 80s.

Your being laid off may not matter when qualifying if you are doing similar work at our airport... I would suggest speaking to a lender to see how this effects your situation (such as how long off work and how long re-hired etc. I can give you a couple lender names if you need them as well.

If you would like to have me set up an automated (free) search of homes from some better areas just let me know! I would love to help!

Best of luck to your family.

Brenda and Ron Cunningham
Recognized in the Phoenix Business Journal as on of the Top 50 Realtors in the Valley.
Hi Kevin,
My first goal is to find out a little bit more about you and your family. How are old are your children? Are schools important to you? What activities are you & your family involved in? Are you coming from the Philadelphia or Charlotte Hub? What type of housing are you looking for? Townhome, Single Family home? Purchase? Rental? We moved to the Phoenix area 11 years ago from the east and made our choice based on my husbands need to be close to the airport & children's school & activities. There are several areas that are within 25 minutes of the airport that could meet your needs. I specialize in relocation in the Southeast Valley and would be happy to help you find a home that will meet your all of your needs. Give me a call and let's get started! Jacque Stowe 480-980-8286

I'm sorry to hear that you are laid off. Home prices here are outstanding for Buyers right now. The fact that you're laid off will play a huge role in qualifying for a home. Perhaps you'd like to rent for 6 months to a year until you become familiar with the Phoenix area. Of course you'd want your commute to be as short as possible. You can pretty much live where ever you please with our newer freeways. Living in Scottsdale for example - it would take you 15-20 minutes to get to Sky Harbor. In raising your family here, you'll want to strongly consider the quality of life you want. There are several areas I can think of that offer good schools, nearby parks, shopping and medical facilities. There are some very nice homes in areas I believe you may find interesting.

If you'd like to discuss your needs further without posting here, by all means click on my profile to the left to contact me and we can chat more. I'm happy to help! ~Robin Bryant, Realty Executives
Web Reference: http://www.azshowcase.com
A lot depends on your tolerance for a commute. Despite what you are reading here very few communities are 10 minutes from Sky Harbor. It takes 10 minutes from the 202 exit to get into the airport. However, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Chandler, even Glendale, Peoria and North Phoenix are all reasonable candidates.

You budget may determine where you live. Use Sky Harbor as you destination, then use a map software tool to show you the distance, route and time from some neighborhoods. You will get a better idea of which location is right for you.
Kevin, there are so many great communities to choose from here in our beautiful Valley of the Sun. I have to agree with my colleagues below. Since there are so many factors when deciding on where to live, it'll probably behoove you to work with an agent with extensive knowledge of the valley and experience in working with buyers, especially relocation buyers if you're relocating to the area. Overall price of homes in our market around the valley deeply favor buyers at this time and with the large inventory you have a lot of choices so it's a really exciting time to be in the market to buy a home. Feel free to go to the link I've provided so you can start searching for homes just like a REALTOR would. There's even a mapping tool you can use to look into communities within a certain radius of the airport. All the best to you and your family.
Hi Kevin, wow you are going to get a lot of answers to your question. May I recommend that you hire a Realtor to show you a variety of communities to find the one that's right for you. (602)403-7717
Web Reference: http://ronshomepage.com
What type of work do you do for US Airways? My sister works in Crew Scheduling so she travels every day to the airport. If you are a pilot; that opens the area to a much larger spand. My X is a pilot for US Airways. Give me some feed back if what you do for the airline and what are your hobbies, and preferances in a home. Style, Sq Ft, lot size, garages, and I am sure I can help you.

Chris Powell DPR Realty powell50016@yahoo.com 623-694-1657
Ahwatukee! Just 10 minute from Phoenix Sky Harbor, located in the Kyrene School District which is the state's highest ranked school district. Nestled next to South Mountain, for boundless hiking/mountain biking trails. Mountain Park Ranch located in the center of it all is a national award-winning master planned community. Warmest regards, Jennifer Ferguson
Good morning Kevin. Your question presents several options to be weighed. It would depend on your personal lifestyle. what your used to and what you seek.

If you are going to work at the airport and would like to use public transportation there are pockets of areas along the light rail that would be an acceptable place to raise a family.

Otherwise I would suggest some areas in Tempe, South Scottsdale and Phoenix nears south mountain.

I would be happy to consult with you and help you hone in on an area. Despite what you hear sometimes on tv the Phoenix area really is a great town.

Best wishes to you and your family.
Ahwatukee! It's only 10 minutes from the airport. The schools are in Kyrene School District, which is the highest ranked district in the state. Nestled next to South Mountain for tons of outdoor hiking/mountain biking. Mountain Park Ranch is an national award-winning master-planned development.
Warmest Regards,
Jennifer Ferguson