Quality of Life in Sharon>Question Details

Jeury, Home Buyer in Beverly, MA

I am a Latino married w/ two kids, we're considering moving to Sharon, MA.

Asked by Jeury, Beverly, MA Thu Mar 6, 2008

I checked greatschools.net. and have excellent ratings , which is the main reason why we want to move to Sharon. But wanted know how open\acceptable the town is to new comers, eventhough I've lived in New England for over 20yrs. I read what some kids had to say on UrbanDictionary.com and it's not very encouraging, but I would like hear from agents that work in this town. We are also looking at Milton and Canton.

Answers

5
MDM REALTY Heidi Zizza’s answer
Diversity is a beautiful thing. We are all American and should not stereotype. You should choose a town that works well for your commute and where the school system has programs that fit your childs needs. Milton is definitely closer to Boston for example if thats where the commute is.
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
You formed an opinion of Sharon based on what some kid wrote on urbandictionary.com? You are kidding, right?

I found Sharon to be the most affordable, "high quality" town within twenty miles of downtown. Every bit as desirable as Lexington, Needham, etc...but at 50-70% of their price for housing. I strongly suggest you check Sharon out if you want top schools in a quiet, beautiful town convenient to highways, Boston, Providence, recreation, etc...

Also, I am not a real estate broker nor do I live there. I am considering the town, among others. I just felt I had to respond to your comments.
Hi Jeury,
I am a realtor specializing in Sharon and the surrounding areas. While this is a question that cannot legally be answered by any licensed realtor, I encourage you to come to our great town and have a look around. I certainly can supply you with statistics on our town and schools and would be happy to show you around town. Again, I cannot respond with regard to your specific question ... but I I would be delighted to chat further and give you the opportunity to actually come take a look at what our beautiful town has to offer. i hope this helped a bit. Good luck and hope to hear from you.
Debbie Milley
Community Specialist
Century 21 Florence Kates
Sharon, MA
(781) 248-0001
I AM NOT A REALTOR but I grew up on the south shore and live in Milton. #3 on Urbandictionary.com best matches my view of the demographics of Sharon over the last 30 years. We consdiered moving to Sharon because of the schools, safety, nice upper middle class town but chose otherwise becuase we felt it was too far from Boston and had too much of a "townie" mentality which that website seems to echo. I can not comment on the drugs/sex issue there.

Milton is considered the most Irish town in America. Our family shares that ethnicity. In my daughter's public school class roughly 50% of the kids have Irish last (and several first) names. As for the other 50% there are some Asian some Black some Middle Eastern and the rest you can't tell but assume they are not Irish. As for Latino families I could not give you an estimate but feel safe to say you'd be in the minority. Milton is a town in transition, as the elderly mostly Irish majority passes away I think younger more diverse families are moving in. I think the town is accepting of outsiders as we did not grow up in this town. I think economics plays a bigger role than race in Milton. You're from Beverly and based on the towns you're considering I think economically you would fit in. Most of us are college educated and want that for our children. Milton has a French immersion program in all the elementary schools you can google and offers Spanish several times a week from grades 3 and up.

Controversy in town seems to center on the annual prop 2 1/2 tax overrides to fund the ALL brand newly built (opened last fall) to newly built (opened in the last 5 years) schools and lack of parking in E. Milton Square. Google Milton Times for the local newpaper.

This is really strange because I just answered another question similar to this recently in that this cannot be answered in this forum or by any licensed real estate agent for that matter. We can't talk race and we can't talk safety. Ask friends or locals, you can't ask this here, or I suppose more to the point - it cannot be answered.
Web Reference: http://www.provestre.com