Quality of Life in San Pedro>Question Details

debbiejowats…, Home Owner in San Francisco, CA

I allowed my niece to move back into my condo (I own this)after she was thrown out of a sober living situation.

Asked by debbiejowatson, San Francisco, CA Mon Mar 11, 2013

She pays me 600 per month. How can I get her out?

Answers

9
Talk to her and try to work it out. Do you have a rental agreement? Has she always paid on time? Is she in breach of any of the terms in the rental agreement? Do you plan on moving back in? Do you currently live there with her and only rent out a room? There is not enough information here to go by.
How long has she lived there? Less than a year, more than a year? That matters because of the amount of notice that you will have to give her.
Someone asked a great question earlier... Do you want to sell the unit?
This questions was also posted a while back so if you have an update for us that would be great. Let us know how it turned out.

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
BRE Lic #01456982
iF YOU MOVE BACK INTO YOUR CONDO, SHE MUST MOVE. YOU MAY HAVE TO PAY HER THE APPROPRIATE AMOUNT OF "RELOCATION" FEES ACCORDING TO THE L.A. LANDLORD/TENNANT LAWS BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT.
Debbie, have you considered selling the condo? San Pedro has an EXTREME shortage of properties available and because of this, properties are selling for higher prices. Multiple offers, bidding wars... A possible solution might be informing your niece that you're considering "selling" and that whoever purchased the property would more than likely want to live in it. If you have any questions or would prefer to find out more about the eviction process, feel free to call or send me an email. In my opinion, telling her you were considering selling would be a less "sticky" alternative and at the end of the day, once it was empty you wouldn't have to sell if you didn't want to. It's your property and you have the right to use it or dispose of it as you choose. Best of luck.
It've never easy being placed in a situation where you lend a helping hand and end up regreting it. Unfortunately you may have to evict her. Rent control laws don't apply here because this is a single family residence. I have done leasing/renting in the area and may have resources for you if you need them.

It've never easy being placed in a situation where you lend a helping hand and you end up regreting it. Unfortunately you may have to evict her. Rent control laws don't apply here because this is a single family residence. I have done leasing/renting in the area and may have resources for you if you need information.

Debbie:
This is a legal Q.
I've heard lawyers on the radio say the laws apply differently to boarders renting a room in the house you live in as opposed to renters exclusively occupying the whole condo/home etc.

Being compassionate, and trying to help is human nature for many if not most of us, but when
dealing with addictions of any kind, or mental health issues, challenging may not even come
close to describing how difficult it can be.

You say your niece was in a sober living home before moving in with you, so maybe the people
who run that program could be of great assistance to you.

Good luck to both you and your niece!
How can you get her out? With great care and compassion. You want this to transpire amicably. You do not want a hostile eviction process with someone that is family and that is living in your home with access to your things.

She is family, try to reason with her. If that does not work, try buying her out. If that does not work, then you need to consult with an eviction service or a real estate attorney. There are certain tenant rights that exist and you do not want to violate.

Good luck. No good deed...
In what year was the condo built? If it is in San Pedro and built before October, 1978 it may be under rent control and my response will differ from a condo built after October, 1978. Let me know...
is she renting the whole unit or just a room?