Greg Murakami, Home Buyer in Surprise, AZ

I AM LOOKING TO MOVE TO PALM SPRINGS AREA AND I HAVE NOTICED THAT THOUSAND PALMS IS VERY AFFORDABLE-IS THERE

Asked by Greg Murakami, Surprise, AZ Sun Nov 2, 2008

ANY CONCERNS,LIKE COSTS OF LIVING, CRIME?
THANK YOU!
GREG

Answers

4
The Coachella Valley features numerous communities each with their own character and style. I recently showed homes in Thousand Palms for under $250,000. However, you can also find homes in this price range in nice areas of Palm Springs, Cathedral City, Palm Desert and La Quinta. The overall cost of living will be similar in any of these communities. So its really just a matter of you deciding what area is most appealing to you.

As far as crime is concerned I would contact the local police department in the specific neighborhood you're considering, to get statistics. I'm not sure if Thousand Palms has their own police department; you may want to contact the Riverside Sherrif's department for stats.

Many homes in this price range may be Foreclosures. As a result, some may need some updating due to various levels of neglect. However, prices are the lowest they've been in 4 years. We're experiencing a great window of opportunity to find some great buys, with a large inventory to choose from.

Best of luck to you on your search!

Paul Kaplan
http://www.PaulKaplanRealtor.com
Palm Springs, CA
Pacific Union GMAC Real Estate
Hi Greg,
The biggest "concern" is which community fits you the best. There is a marked difference between the "feel" of Palm Springs and Thousand Palms.

In addition, there are different areas of Palm Springs that may appeal to you more than another area of Palm Springs. It is a larger city than Thousand Palms (approx 48,000 people compared to 6,800 people).

I was unable to locate objective, quantifiable crime statistics on both cities. However, check out these websites for some detailed information. (Note: I am not vouching for the accuracy of the information on these websites):
Palm Springs info: http://www.city-data.com/city/Palm-Springs-California.html
Thousand Palms info: http://www.city-data.com/city/Thousand-Palms-California.html

I would suggest you ride through each community, perhaps look at a couple of homes which meet your criteria in each area. This will give you a feel for the communities. It is ultimately what you feel fits "you" best.

Let me know if you would like someone to drive you around or help you find a sample of homes to investigate. It would be my pleasure to work with you!

Have a great day,
Lynda Stefani
760-406-1063
Windermere Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2008
Hi there Greg, There are some great homes avaialable right now and many are not short sales or Reo properties. The best place to see the crime stats is the cities website.

Let me know if you would like to receive a list of the best properties

Kind Regards
Michael Barron
Realtor/MBA
First team Real Estate
(714) 552-6817
michael-barron@sbcglobal.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2008
Hi Greg:

There are several affordable areas in the desert, including Thousand Palms, where you can purchase a home, many in the new developments, in the low $200,000's. These new homes can be over 3000 sq ft and include many of the features currently popular with buyers: stainless steel appliances, large tile flooring and granite countertops.

Additionally, there are many homes on the market for resale so it is a good time for a buyer to be looking, comparing and purchasing. Prices are competitive and interest rates at still at an all time low.

Submitting an offer with a pre-approval will help the seller make a decision more readily because they know you have been approved for financing.

Now is a great time to be buying your dream home. Please contact me if I can assist you in realizing your dream.

Carolyn Voet, ePRO
Committed to Excellence
Windermere Real Estate
Indian Wells
760/774-6510 (cell)
http://www.carolynvoet.mywindermere.com
MailTo:cvoet@sonic.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2008