Quality of Life in Lynn>Question Details

Raf., Home Buyer in Worcester, MA

IS LYNN MA a good town to Raise a Family?

Asked by Raf., Worcester, MA Sun Jul 13, 2008

Im looking to move to Lynn, MA from Worcester. I live in Burncoat area and I like it here but my wife want to move closer to her sister. We have 2 boys under teens and I'm worried if Lynn would be a good choice?

Any help is welcome!

Answers

14
I worked for The Lynn Item a long time ago and am more than a little familiar with the city.
Lynn is a great town to raise a family if you can stand sub-standard schools, an abundance of drugs and gangs and an economy that's hanging on by its thumbs.
Compared to some tough neighborhoods in Boston, Lynn is a country club. And Boston's tough neighborhoods are nothing compared to some in Detroit and Los Angeles,
As a consequence, there are some great housing buys in Lynn, especially near the Swampscott line and in the Diamond District.
But all of the surrounding towns are better places to rear kids, I think.

And as for the comments that a Realtor can't steer a client -- that may be true for clients but no one here is a client and no one is asking me to show them houses, so I feel 100% free to tell it like it is.
If the Board of Realtors objects then free speech is dead for Realtors.
Hello Raf- Good insight from the others. I lived in Lynn for about 2 years, and am quite familiar with the area there. It has some problems, but it also gets a bad rap. Realtors cannot legally steer you in a one direction, so their advice may not always be truly honest. You know with your own eyes after driving around the town. Spend a day and part of the evening going into different parts of the city.
There are parts of neighboring towns, like Salem, Beverly, and Revere, that are just as "tough" as Lynn is. So its more than just the name.
If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. Our First Call Mortgage office is located in nearby Andover. Good luck,

Ken L.
I am originally from Lynn MA . The city has some beautiful areas to live in but the gangs are getting worse each year. The police are working hard to clean up the city but I haven't seen any improvement. I moved out of Lynn because my child was reaching school age years and didn't want to send her to Lynn schools. If your children are at middle school age the middle schools are aweful. Middle schoold can make or break your kids. I'd think twice before moving to Lynn. Try a surroung town like Swampscott, Beverly or Peabody...
Hi Raf,
I admire Paul's loyalty. He is right! I am a realtor from Beverly and I always tell my first time home buyers that the best values are in Lynn. I have worked as a buyer agent for several clients that have bought in Lynn and all are happy with their decision. I currently have three clients looking in Lynn, and will continue to push the fact that you can get more for your dollar in this community. Best of Luck!
Lynn is a great place to raise a family. I grew up here and got a great education. Lynn's Classical and English High schools have both been praised by US News and World Report as among the top public high schools in the country. None of the "pricey", haughty taughty towns around us got that award!
There are good parts of town all over, but the consistently best area is Ward One, zip 01904.
I spend half my life as a Realtor moving people out of Lynn to other "better" towns, Florida, the Carolinas, etc.. And then I spend the other half, it seems, moving the same people back into Lynn when they realize the grass is definitely NOT greener where they've moved to.
Let me know if you have any questions-
Paul Stonkus
Web Reference: http://www.lynnforsale.com
Stay away from Lynn unless you want your children raised side by side with gang members. My daughter visited over there and eventually moved over there with a boyfriend and got assaulted. Her "friends" boyfriend ended up getting arrested for murder (Joshua Rivera murder, google it if you like) while she was over there and her lovely boyfriend ended up being in an idiotic gang called deuce boys.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 9, 2013
Check the ISD website AND the zip code search they provide all kinds of stats for you. a Real estate professionals per the code of ethics can’t make those comments Good luck http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 13, 2008
Lynn is a very dangerous city. However, there are some good cities in the area. LynnFIELD and Swampscott are safe. If you can only afford to live in Lynn, I would suggest the part near Kings Beach.
I wouldnt recommend Lynn for raising a family. It is less expensive than neighboring towns on the North Shore, but there are reasons for that- higher crime rate, more poverty, and mediocre schools.
I was born in Lynn, went to school there and at that time Lynn was extremely beautiful....Come the year 1970, gangs formed, cultures moved in that were not team players with the people or the city....guns, drugs,destruction, prostitutes, house invasions, murder on a fairly regular basis...Heck, I could go on and on to the point I actually had to get out of there and I lived in a half decent area.....Lynn turned into a nightmare that still exists today.....At 49 yrs I had to say good bye to my home town...I miss the Lynn I knew and loved....I feel I cannot even feel safe going into Lynn proper...Everything is gone anyway....Lynn is a BAD place to raise a decent family......
As a longtim resident of Lynn, I disagree with Peter Lake, and, as a licenced Realtor with Jack Conway and Company, I am obligated to give facts, and not steer anyone from any town or neighborhood. I live in a very nice area, off of Broadway, and I'm close to all major highways, schools, hospitals, and places of worship. The best elementary and middle schools are in this area. Also, the two high schools in Lynn are consistently rated among the top Urban high schools. So much of what you read in the papers about Lynn is only the negative...true for most big cities.

Every city has it's good areas and bad, traffic and crime, rich and poor, people who care for their property, and those that don't. Take a drive around, and see what's going on (you should do this WEHEREVER you are looking for a home). Lynn homes are a great value...lots of house for the money, great for first-time buyers, young families, and investors. Good luck with your search, and feel free to call me at Jack Conway. I'd be happy to take you on a tour, and show you the whole city.
I've lived in Lynn for over 30 years. Every large city, Lynn included, has it's problems. I rasied both of my daughters here, and they did well in school, and went on to college and solid careers. As is true in any city, you choose your neighborhood based on your lifestyle. While the Diamond Districe (near the ocean) or Ward One which is on the Lynnfield/Peabody Line are considered the most desireable, the areas off of Eastern Avenue or Pine Hill are also great.

You should always drive around at different times of the day, and if you have concerns, call the Lynn Police Dept. They will be able to give you the latest statistics about your chosen area.

Lynn has a lot to offer, great biking, and hiking trails, a beautiful waterfront, a fine community college, and easy commute to Boston by car, bus or train. It's a great alternative to East Boston, where rents/home prices are much higher.

I hope you give Lynn a chance. And, I'd be happy to work with you to find just the right home and neighborhood. Give me a call!
I've lived in Lynn my entire life but am moving my family out before they reach school age.
I'd say and live in Lynn if I did not have kids, however it is not a very good place to raise a family.
At the risk of repeating myslef, it truly depends on where in the city (any city) you live. Don't write off the whole city because of a couple of neighborhoods.
Flag Sun Jul 22, 2012