Quality of Life in Florida>Question Details

Maureen, Home Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

Husband and I want to move to FL. We're in our 40's and looking for casual, close to ocean and not too

Asked by Maureen, Minneapolis, MN Sun May 11, 2008

expensive. Any suggestions?

Answers

30
What do you consider "not too expensive"? I would love to help but need some price range.
good Luck!
Debi Quade
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 11, 2008
Maureen,

You may want to consider the Treasure Coast of Florida--(Stuart, Palm City, Jensen Beach). Our area was just recognized by the New York Times as one of the best places to move to.

Most communities are 30 minutes or less to the ocean. We have a great school system, and have low crime statistics. And, because this is a buyers market, we have some fantastic pricing on homes and condos!

Florida, overall, is a great place to live. There are many places for you to choose from. Are there any demographic areas that you are leaning towards? (Panhandle of Florida, East Coast (ocean side), or West Coast (Gulf side)). Once you have narrowed down the area, finding what you are looking for will be a bit easier.

Some things to consider--do you want the "city" life---Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, etc., or do you want something that is more suburban--; also, if you have children in school, you need to consider the various school districts and what they have to offer your children;

If there are any specific questions that you would like answered, please feel free to contact me. I have lived in Florida my entire life, spending the last 35+ years here in Martin County. I'll be happy to help you with any questions, or concerns that you may have and help point you in the direction that best suits you--even if it isn't in my local area!

Have a great day!

Debbie Redditt, CRS, ePRO
Prudential Florida WCI
772-486-4306 cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 11, 2008
Maureen,
FL has so many wonderful places to consider. The first step would be to narrow your search by better understanding your life preferences, budget and personal interests. We have helped manypeople narrow their search and find their ideal home in many communities across the southeast. This is a great time to be looking and we would love to help you.
Please consider giving me a call or email me at terry@marianschaffer.com
The Schaffer Realty Group
877-886-8388
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 11, 2008
Maureen,

How about a townhouse with a private boatslip, 3 BR, 2.5 BA, granite countertops, hardwood and tile floors, in a waterfront community, around the corner from a golf course, 10 min. from the snowhite beaches at the Gulf Of Mexico - for

only $184,900?

It's casual, close to the ocean and well priced. it's wonderful here, you'd fall in love with our area in Northwest Florida. The home is 35 min. from the Pensacola airport. Why don't you come down and take a look? See the web reference. And if you think his home doesn't exactly meet your needs and desires - we have many more nice ones to choose from.

Leonie
IF YOU WANT TO BE CLOSE TO THE OCEAN AND A CHEAP COST OF LIVING I WOULD RECOMMEND MOVING TO THE AREA AROUND PANAMA CITY RIGHT NOW THERE ARE 2 BEDROOM 2 GARAGE HOMES FOR AT LEAST 160 000 DOLLARS FOR MORE INFO YOU ARE WELCOME TO EMAIL ME AT TiffanyC90@YAHOO.COM ENJOY YOUR DAY
One of the "Best Small Towns in the USA" and the only one in this well-known book that is located in Florida . . . recognized as one of the best places to retire by Retirement Magazine for the past 12 years at least . . . known internationally as the home of the premier citrus fruit . . . the smallest town to host major league spring training baseball . . . the jewel of the Treasure Coast . . . where one can still find a gold doubloon on the beach . . . the best surfing on the east coast of Florida . . . one of the outstanding art towns in Florida . . . big enough for professional theatre but small enough for a real sense of community. . . beautiful beaches with ample free public access oceanfront parks . . . 3 causeway bridges to the island so you are never caught in a traffic jam on or off the island. . . first class hotels and cozy cottages . . . 4 star restaurants and quaint casual eateries. . . all this and very affordable housing from under $100,000 to over $30,000,000 and everything in between. . . this and more is my home in Vero Beach, Florida. . . a place for friends and family. Won't you let us introduce you to our town?
I AM NOT A SPAMMER JUST SO YOU KNOW I AM VERY MUCH FOR REAL ABOUT THIS
Hello my name is Tiffany Chichester I'm a real estate agent and i specialize in homes in Fl . I have a great location in which is far from hurricanes cheap owning costs wonderful weather and is located in a beautiful community NOT FAR FROM BEACHES AND OFFERS ENDLESS ACTIVITIES FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES... If you are willing to travel down to Brooklyn Ny for a meeting with me please email me at [EMAIL="baby_t_15_2000@yahoo.com"]baby_t_15_2000@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] and leave your name and phone number so i can call you back to set up an appointment... thank you for your time
Hello Maureen,

There are some great condos and homes in the Highland Beach and Boca Raton area that would be of interest. Our proximity to two major airports, shopping, entertainment, business, intracoastal the beaches and so much more makes South East Florida and Palm Beach county a very desirable place to live. This is truly PARADISE. I hope to help you move into yours. Tell me more. Thank-you.
Web Reference: http://www.stelsells.com
Don't know what type of home you're looking for but if you decide on a manufactured home I have 2 in west boca raton that i'll be putting on the market soon as my daughter and i are moving together to the west coast. One is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with enclosed florida room. completely brick faced on land that you own. there is a shopping center literally across the street that you can walk to in 2 minutes for happy hour (they also have live bands on weekends) the $79 monthly homeowner's fee includes membership to the boca dunes golf and country club where you can use all the amenities and golf for free. If you're a golfer you know a day of golf can easily cost $60+. That house has been completely painted in the interior as well as had all new wood floors put in. (140K) It's an older model so conventional financing does not apply but you can do cash or get a land loan and cash for the balance.
I also have, in the same neighborhood a 4 bedroom, 2 bath with family room with fireplace on canal for 199K, only 7 years old so would qualify for financing.
Neither home is officially on the market yet but i can be reached at aires416@aol.com
Southeast Florida offers you all the best-the Florida Keys, EZ access to the west coast, Naples Ft Myers Sanibel-and still just 3 hours from Orlando. We have everything from single family homes to condos, townhomes, villas and right now a variety to chose from and at afforadable prices. Since we are experiencing a Buyers market right now is a good time to explore the options. If you'd like more information about the SE region please feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to help.
I have to favor Tampa Bay area because I have been living here since 1977 and love it. We have the best of both worlds. The beaches are awesome but not as crowded as Miami Beach. This area is a lot less populated than South Florida but yet you have great restaurants, shopping malls, boating, golf, tennis and more! Yet, we are close to all the awesome cities like Sarasota, Orlando, Naples, and more! Call me and we can talk more! Maria Estrada 813-230-9059 Good luck!
Hi Maureen, Take a look at the Englewood Fl. area its on the Gulf of Mexico very laid back, no high rises and you can get a lot of house for the money. Also unlimited golf, miles of white sandy beaches and all the boating and fishing you can take. If I can help please call me. Bob 941-585-9548
check out the "Beaches" area in Jacksonville Florida. You can still buy fabulous homes within walking distance or a bike ride distance to the Beach. Newer homes are priced anywhere from 250,000 and up. I don't know what your price point is but you can even buy Oceanside or Ocean View for under a Mil. Try zip code 32250 and surrounding areas. Hope this helps.
Check out the Jupiter, Tequesta, Florida area. It's perfect, crystal water, clean beaches, close to shopping, great schools, and only , 20 minutes to Palm Beach International airport. for specific information email me at DockswellRealty@aol.com. Also check out http://www.TradeYourHomeOnline.com, it's a FREE website for Realtors and by Owners. Thnak You Todd
Hi again Maureen: I have created this link http://www.brevardmls.com/brv/maildoc/b005BT6383.html for you too so that you will be able to view more information on these homes. Let us know if we can help you.

Mark Palace, CEO/Founder
Palace Properties International, Inc.
http://www.PalacePropertiesOnline.com
321.773.5611
321.704.9305

About Us
Our mission is to provide the best service possible to our customers and clients and to be ever mindful of your needs. We achieve true success only by placing you first.
Palace Properties International is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, Melbourne Area Association of Realtors, Florida Association of Realtors, National Association of Realtors, World Properties, Home Builders and Contractors Association of Brevard (HBCA), Florida Home Builders Association (FHBA) as well as the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).
Whether you want to invest in California, Virginia, the Carolinas, Florida or elsewhere, we look forward to working with and for you, your family and your friends regarding your and their real estate pursuits. We take advantage of our elite and prestigious professional real estate network of top producing, pre-qualified Realtors that specialize in their respective geographical areas.
Company history
With a rich and diverse international background, the staff at Palace Properties International speaks nine languages, has lived and traveled in over 20 countries and possess multiple advanced postgraduate academic university degrees. Kelly and Mark Palace own the firm along with several other thriving businesses in central Florida.

Local Area Information
Come visit one of America's best kept secrets and you will truly fall in love with our subtropical paradise!

Just 35 miles east of Orlando, Brevard County prides itself as the home of Kennedy Space Center, the only facility in the world that launches the Space Shuttle; Port Canaveral, the second-busiest cruise port in the world; 72 miles of beautiful Atlantic Ocean beaches; and the largest collection of endangered wildlife and plants in the continental United States. With its tropical weather, cultural activities, educational opportunities, active and passive recreation options, high-technology industries, and family-friendly atmosphere, the Space Coast offers an exceptional quality of life that residents and visitors enjoy year-round. Nearly 500,000 people call its 15 municipalities and unincorporated areas "home."

Tucked in among the other beach communities of Brevard County, Indian Harbour Beach sits on two square miles of land between the Atlantic to the east and the still waters of the Indian River Lagoon to the west. Beachfront parks are a great place for a picnic (most have running water to wash off the sand before you replace your flip-flops) and Gleason Park offers 27 acres surrounding a beautiful lake, with exercise trails, lit by Victorian lights in the early evening. Tennis is available on city courts and baseball and soccer fields are available at the city’s million-dollar sports complex.

Mark, you truly are the Somerset Oceanfront Specialist. I really appreciate the way you have worked with me as an owner of two units. I know listing with you is the right choice as you are well connected both in the local community and to the international buyers. Each time I talk to you, it seems you have my best interest in mind. Thank you!” S. Veal, MD 03/22/08
- Dr. Steven Veal, Medical Doctor and Real Estate Investor 3/23/08

I met Mark Palace at the Curves Vibrant Womens Conference and decided to have Palace Properties help me find a place to rent or buy. He had a place within an hour and I could see it that evening after work. Mark works hard for his clients and always kept in contact with me by e-mails and phone calls when I needed to talk to him. Never had to wait long for a call back. He is very professional, courteous and respectful. There are some realtors out there that should take lessons from Mark Palace, Palace Properties.
- Patricia Kane, BRPH Architects/Engineers, Inc 7/24/07
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 17, 2008
Hi Maureen! I have prepared the following link for you per your request and per your specifications. Enjoy!

http://www.brevardmls.com/brv/maildoc/a007HP2178.html

Mark Palace, CEO/Founder
Palace Properties International, Inc.
http://PalacePropertiesOnline.com/default.aspx
321.773.5611
321.704.9305

About Us
Company history

Local Area Information

Dear Maureen,
My husband and I are selling a home on Terra Ceia Island on the Gulf Coast. It is located south of St. Petersburg and in fact, as you go south over the Skyway Bridge, at the top, look to your right and you will see a body of land...that is Terra Ceia Island. Twenty minutes from St. Pete and thirty from Tampa and Sarasota. Our home is a two story Key West style, two bedroom, two bathroom with a four-car garage under the main living area with ten foot ceilings. It is on a canal lot surrounded by 298' of water and is only three houses from the open bay. No bridges to contend with. Terra Ceia has a definite casual lifestyle, with neighbors riding golf carts, bicycles, jogging or roller blading. The name Terra Ceia translates to "Land Heavenly" and it truly is! Our asking price is $399,000 with homes around us selling for million plus. Please look at our site on http://www.zillow.com, key in 34250 zip code and look for our address 1115 Bayshore Drive. If you have any questions, contact our email address. Good luck in your search for your Florida home. Kathy Riley, ekriley@mounet.com
Web Reference: http://www.zillow.com
Please consider the Northwest Florida panhandle. Mexico Beach, situated directly on the Gulf of Mexico, offers a relaxed, quiet, small town living with the luxury of sugar white sand and a westerly facing sunset into the Gulf of Mexico. The prices are generally about half of what one would expect to pay in more populated areas. Only 30 minutes from Panama City and 2 hours south of Florida's state capital, Tallahassee. For more information contact us at Century 21 Gulf Coast Realty 800-451-2349 or by email at sales@c21gulfcoastrealty.com
Hi Maureen, I'm a 5th generation native of Florida and have stayed all over the state. I chose Flagler County on the Northeast Coast, directly between St. Augustine to the north and Daytona Beach to the south. Flagler Beach is a laid back beach town, with homes as low as $250,000 just a few block to the beach. The biggest part of our county consist of Palm Coast the fastest growing city in the state. Palm Coast encompasses 3/4 of the county with homes ranging from $90,000 and up to millions, depending on which section you pick. The city is only 7 years old, and was developed by ITT. We are a developing area. Check out http://www.Tavolacci.com for more details in real estate and visit my site http://www.LindaKasper.com
Web Reference: http://www.LilndaKasper.com
You should chek out the west coast of Fl. , from Bradenton to Ft. Meyers. Sarasota is a little hidden gem with as many cultural events as many metropolitan cities. We have many great restaurants and much much less traffic than the east coast. If you just want to lay back and enjoy life we still have the best area going. Siesta Key Beach always ranks th the World's Top 10. Great schools, good job market and a mid-west EASY influence. Use my web site: jimsoda.com or go to both Manatee and the Sarasota Chamber of Commerce sites. Enjoy!
Web Reference: http://www.jimsoda.com
Hi Maureen,
You need to check out Englewood & the Cape Haze Peninsula. With recent price adjustments is now very affordable. This area has everything people come to Florida for, the golf, boating & beaches without all the crowds. Englewood started at the turn of the 20thcentury as a small fishing village. Being on the peninsula on the north side of Charlotte Harbor it kept us off the main track of development. So much of the area is unspoiled by a lot of the high rise development that change the Old Florida feel. We have many State Parks from Boca Grande to the south to Englewood beach and Manasota Beach in South Sarasota County. More importantly we have maintained our Small Town Feel. Excellent local restaurants are the norm not chains. Traffic isn’t nuts during season like many of the “well known” areas. All this but we are with in one hour of both Sarasota to the north and Ft Myers to the south so we have quick and easy access to all the big city things you may occasionally need. Once you "FIND" our area you are not going to what to live anywhere else. To check out homes go to my website http://BobFirth.com To check out the area to to http://www.englewoodchamber.com
Web Reference: http://BobFirth.com
Delray Beach is known as the Village by the Sea! Very casual, infact most of the people that visit our beach office walkin with bathing suits, shorts or jeans with ice cream or an ice coffee in their hands! Tile floors in the office welcome the sand from shoes or feet from the beach!

Delray Beach is between Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach metro areas with Miami a tad further to the south, providing small resort town easy access to arts, shopping, sports, airports, cruise ships while avoiding the hustle of the big city!

Condos can be purchased for as low as $40,000 - $ 70,000 range within 3 miles of the ocean or in the $120,000 - $300,000 range 1 mile from the ocean, and $250,000 on up walking distance to the beach.

Single family homes range from $200,000 and up, closer to the beach prices push up to $350,000 and up. Walking distance to beach homes start around $600,000 for a 30-40 year old home nothing fancy.

Nearby residential towns would include Boca Raton, Boynton Beach and Lake Worth.
Hi Maureen,

You should be able to find just what you are looking for in North Port. There are many, many nice homes in the price range you mentioned. You can go to my website and search the section marked North Port to get an idea of the area. Please give a call or email if you have any questions!

Shannon Moore, Realtor
Re/Max Anchor Realty
North Port/Port Charlotte
941-276-8142
twomoores19@comcast.net
You are very welcome. Yes, warm is better!!
Debi Quade
Thank you for all the wonderful responses and suggestions! Not too expensive means to us: $100,000-$150,000 homes that are in good condition with little to no cosmetic updates and in safe areas.

We currently live in Minneapolis, MN. This past winter was too cold, dark and long! Plus, homes that we are interested are in are $200,000+. We don't want to be house "rich" and rest of life "poor".

Will continue to research...Thanks again, all!
There's not a more affordable area in Florida, or more gorgeous beaches, than Northwest Florida. We have a great selection of homes, from old victorians to modern highrise condos. There are a lot of photos, a blog and great information like affordability and taxes on my website, http://www.PensacolaForYou.com. Let me know if I can help!
North Port is about 25 minutes from the gulf and there are many newer homes available for under $200,000. North Port is located just south of Sarasota and north of Ft Myers. I have information on most of the areas in SW Florida on my website listed below.

There are lots of great deals right now in SW Florida. Good luck with your search!

Shannon Moore, Realtor
Re/Max Anchor Realty
North Port
941-276-8142
twomoores19@comcast.net
Maureen,
Don't overlook the Venice area. The location has been recognized as one of the "Top locations to relocate" in the entire country and one of the "Best places to retire."

These destinctions are based on employment, education, weather, beach access, crime rate, and social & cultural opportunity. The bottom line for this location is it is an area that offers a quality the keeps people coming back.

The timing is right since there are plenty of many great opportunities and super values.

The "Eckler Team"
Century 21Almar and Associates
Venice, Fl 34285
ecklerteam@comcast.net
941-408-5363
The American Chamber of Commerce Research Association Cost of Living Index identified Jacksonville as the city with the lowest cost of living among Florida’s five major metropolitan areas and lower than any major metropolitan area in the Southeast. With a 92.2 ACCRA Cost of Living rating, Jacksonville’s cost of living index is nearly 10 points below the national average.
Jacksonville offers whatever you seek. From downtown vistas to beach horizons, there’s a myriad of entertainment, housing, and recreational venues to match virtually any taste. Bed and breakfast inns, hotels and resorts, performing arts centers and business centers, sports complexes, a 78,500 square-foot plus exhibit hall and the unique international golf resort, World Golf Village, are some of the diverse and numerous options.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Also check out my website to read more about Jacksonville.

Shonda Sauls,REALTOR®
Prudential Network Realty
(904)260-4300 #625
Shonda.Sauls@PrudentialNetworkRealty.com
http://www.prudentialnetworkrealty.com/agent.aspx?id=34733