George, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

How would you describe East New York, is it an area up and comming?

Asked by George, New York, NY Fri Jul 6, 2007

Is East New York an area that is on the rise? Would someone consider investing a small business in the area?

Answers

4
I have lived in ENY for over 30 years. While ENY has experienced a revitalization, it remains a neighborhood in need as it is generally a low-income community with its share of gangs, drugs, and prostitution issues. Like much of Brooklyn, ENY is different from block to block, area to area - some areas are more caribean, some more latin, some more african american. It has numerous housing projects and, in between, a few nice blocks with private homes. The schools are not the best. ENY's strength is that it borders Ozone Park, Howard Beach, Canarsie & Starrett City. These surrounding communities offer services like banks, safer schools, shopping, doctors, etc. One commentor mentions Gateway Mall - there is a community being built adjacent to it, but you just have to drive up and look at those homes to see that they are an insult to your hard-earned money. So if you find a nice block, with neighbors that are employed and actually live in the homes they own, you may feel comfortable living in ENY. But please please please don't overpay. Save your money for Canarsie or Ozone Park. Just my opinion.
I have lived in East New York and have worked their as a real estate professional. As emerging neighborhoods in Brooklyn go, East New York holds some fascinating opportunities both for home buyers and business owners. The area has enormous development opportunities along what was once thriving commercial strips. And with the increase in homeownership by a culturally diversified community, niche businesses can do well. I remember when the neighborhood was scandal ridden with drug distribution and the local 75th precinct. However, the city has made this area a big priority with the Gateway Estates development of 1,2 & 3 family homes, the Gateway Mall with national retailers, construction of a brand new police precinct with increased law enforcement and better schools. The best areas to experience the rise in the neighborhood's revitalization is along Pennsylvania Avenue, Sutter Avenue, Pitkin Avenue and New Lots Avenue.
Web Reference: http://www.CorleyRE.com
HELLO i AM A LIC.BROKER IN THE EAST NEW YORK AREA AND I HAVE A GREAT TWO FAMILY 4 BEDROOM
PLUS COMMERCIAL THAT I HAVE LISTED THAT IS IN A GREAT LOCATION NEAR ALL TRANSPORTATION
TRAIN, BUS, CLOSE TO THE LONG ISLAND RAILROAD AND ON A CORNER THAT YOU MIGHT BE OF INTEREST TO YOU E-MAIL ME CRMNSEPULVEDA@YAHOO.COM
East New York, and all of Brooklyn for that matter has been seeing an increase in values. Like any investment, every property is different, and when it comes to investing in a business - even more so than a regular property - there is always risk. The area could be great, and the business could fail. Therefore, my simple answer is "yes" every area should be considered for business - just depends what kind for the particular area. You need to think about competition, demographics, size, location, public transportation access, etc. If all these things add up for you, then it doesn't matter if it is East New York, or The Upper East Side - there is always a risk.

I recommend you work with a COMMERCIAL real estate agent, they will be able to guide you through the process.