Quality of Life in Brooklyn>Question Details

Liliana, Renter in Brooklyn, NY

How to get out of roommate???

Asked by Liliana, Brooklyn, NY Tue Aug 2, 2011

Please HELP ME!!!! I have a huge problem with my roommate from hell!!!!!
This person drive me crazy!!!! I have a hard health situation, a can't get nervous...
I took her, because of this.I try to sue my roommate, because I don't have another chance...
She doesn't pay a rent 2 month, she doing abnormal things, she had blackmailed to me. Anyway, for now, I know nobody can't help me. I went 3 times to police department, 3 times I had call 911 and police came to my house. Every time I had herd the same: I need to go to court.
I did this already, and now I need to start a process. But I think everybody now what it's not easy way and takes some time (2-3 month).
Do you now maybe another solution for this problem?!! I'll be very grateful about that!!! Thank you!!!
If it's help, I living in 6th floors building. A lease on me and my boyfriend. It's a one bedroom apartment - two separate rooms, one small kitchen, corridor and bathroom (don't ask me how can 3 people live in this small apartment!

Janine Young’s answer

You do need a lawyer. If you do not get a lawyer, your unsavory roommate might beat you to the punch and get a lawyer themselves.

A friend of mine had a similar situation a few years back when he moved into someone elses apartment. Things got really bad to the point where they got physical. Because my friend got a lawyer first, he ended up getting a settlement and his roommate who was the lease holder had to kove out of his own apartment for 3 months to give my friend ample time to find another place. All of this rent free!

Get a lawyer and definitely talk to your landlord. If your roommate is not on the lease and you are, he might be able to help you get the roomate evicted before the situation escalates any further.

Dear Liliana:

You need a lawyer and you need to go through the legal system.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 3, 2011
Have you shared this with your Landlord?
No matter what happens, you need to communicate with him.
Maybe he can help; he has probably seen everything.

Good luck and may God bless
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 2, 2011
If your roommate is not on the lease, he/she should not be living there; as Ron already suggested do inform your landlord of the situation, and you may wish to consult with an attorney...