Quality of Life in Idyllwild>Question Details

Red, Home Buyer in Idyllwild, CA

How safe a place is Idyllwild? We're looking to move there and put our son in Idyllwild Arts Academy.

Asked by Red, Idyllwild, CA Sat May 30, 2009

I've seen some statistics that show the crime rate as pretty high for such a small town, which makes me wonder. Car theft seems to be the highest, break-ins not too far behind, is crime affected influenced by gangs from Hemet?

Answers

8
Idylwild is a strong community town, even a small infraction is reported to the local sheriff. Most cities have such a strong gang population that many crimes are not reported, even up to rape and murder. We watch out for each other and have a eye for Hemet Flatlander Troublemakers. I own multiple homes up here and have been visiting for more then 20 years. Just google Long Beach then Idylwild and you tell me !
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 6, 2009
Red: Here are two websites to help you out. The first is called bestplaces.net and it shows statistical results of crime based on FBI submitted reports.

http://www.bestplaces.net/crime/?city1=50636203&city2=50600212

This one is called the Great Schools website: http://www.greatschools.net/

.......has detailed information regarding schools and even has a place where consumers can leave comments about their personal experience regarding an individual school. The Idyllwild Arts Academy has a high rating. I personally have always liked Idyllwild because of it's mountain and small town feel, but this is my personal opinion.

Regarding the gangs from Hemet the best thing to do is go there and ask the local business owners. Also, I am sure there is some kind of neighborhood watch group than can help.

Good luck and let us know what you think or find out! :)
Web Reference: http://www.soreal.biz
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 1, 2009
I don't know about the crime rate but I go up there from San Diego a few times a year to hike. It feels very safe to me!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
How safe is Idyllwild to live, and the art school, we plan to visit it on the next 3 monthes.
Having had Idyllwild as a very important part of my life since I was five years old and having lived there for a brief time, I'm vey happy to hear that there is a stong sense of community and that the people simply won't allow crime to become prevalent there. It's very reassuring!
We did have an influx of break-ins over the summer, but fortunately, one of the beauties of Idyllwild, the community really got up in arms (so to speak) and law enforcement was able to arrest twelve people involved in the robberies. I've lived here 35 years and was not aware of car theft being so high, so am not sure where those stats came from. And fortuantely the gangs from Hemet have not made it up to Idyllwild, nor in my opinion would they survive here - the town is too small - nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.
As far as a safe community, I would choose to live no where else in So. CA. We all tend to look out for each other and the beautiful thing is that there is a deep sense of community here, making it some much more unique than so many other communities in So. CA.
I have several friends who have their children attending Idyllwild Arts and it is an amazing school. Truly, although I am not aware of other simialr schools throughout the country, I can say that Idyllwild is a community that will touch your heart with warmth and kindness. When my family comes to visit from back east, they continue to comment about how everyone is "so friendly."
Wouldn't choose to live anywhere else!
Also, know that I am a realtor and would be glad to help with not only a possible purchase, but also if you're in need of a rental or any other information that might help with your decision making process about this wonderful mountain town.
~Dora Dillman
Realtor Associate
Idyllwild Realty
DRE# 01436174
(951) 288-5604
I too, came to Idyllwild for the first time when I was 5. I fell in love with Idyllwild and still am. It has been a part of my life forever and I hope it always will be! It was about as safe as any town could be then but, of course, times have changed. I know there have been drug issues and where that is the case, crime follows.
We went there when I was a kid because I had a great uncle that had a home there. I was quite small but that's what made me fall in love with the mountains. I ended up living in Lake Tahoe for 10 years because of the love of the mountains. I live in northern Cal now and we go back to Tahoe all the time. I guess I need my mountain fix. Ha
I recommend Idyllwild to anyone. I have great memories.