Quality of Life in Chicago>Question Details

Rusty Payton, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL

How much time do you spend "logging in" each day? I think it has gotten ridiculous... between email, databases, mls, Trulia, Facebook,

Asked by Rusty Payton, Chicago, IL Sun Dec 16, 2012

Everyblock, etc Can't there be a better way?

Answers

8
Manuel Brown (312) 600-5710’s answer
As a society we have changed. We look for more and more instant gratification and more and more we look to the experts for answers. The medium for all of us to seek out those answers is being logged on to the internet and onto the many sites and search engines that try to quench our need to know at an instant.

The intimacy everyone use to have with pure research using, pens, pencils, books, reference journals, has and is being replaced with on line materials. The new intimacy for information has been replaced by Androids, iPhone, Tablets, iPads, and various other devices. Writing is going on the window being replaced by thumb dexterity and penmanship is no longer considered a skill worth teaching just like physical education. I find it very sad.

Trust me when I say I am a participant with being logged on and have become somewhat of a pro when it comes to finding information on the worldwide web. However, as stated by another colleague on Triulia I have learned to focus my time and energy on the people who are serious gaining many hours back to myself per week. Remember, that while many of our clients will bombard us with several emails and questions the best solution is to pick up the phone many times and have a great one on one conversation where idea and thoughts can be exchanged on a more personal level.

We all need to find that happy balance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 17, 2012
I would advise taking courses in time management
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 17, 2012
Way too much time. I don't even notice how it fills my working hours until our internet connection is down or we lose power. Then it really hits me how lost I feel work-wise without it. I can happily go disconnected from anything online in general but work keeps me tethered for sure. I swear that when I retire someday I'm going back to pencil and paper - and a horse!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Being logged in is the current reality. Keep in mind we can disconnect at anytime.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Increase your sphere of influence. Learn how to identify the leads that are serious and worth your time and effort. Require a preapproval or proof of funds before you take out an internet lead. Go paperless. Use Dropbox, docusign and a good CRM.
well........"too much" is my answer......but perhaps the question should be.......how much time do you spend (if any) logging OFF each day?

:)
All day everyday. You can shut down whenever you want.
Pick and choose where you are and when you are online.
If you have easy access via a mobile device, and integrate the tasks with your most important (email, MLS, etc) online activities, and I find it is manageable and rewarding.