Quality of Life in Las Vegas>Question Details

Dave, Home Buyer in Las Vegas, NV

How is the quality of life in Las Vegas?

Asked by Dave, Las Vegas, NV Sat May 30, 2009

My wife and I are both college professors (Spanish Lit.) We are about 50 and have no children. We've read horror stories of rampant solicitation and ubiquitous violence. We've read about depleted resources in the fields of health and education. On the plus side, we've read about great home prices and good weather. Any objective opinions out there? We would appreciate some help! Cheers, Dave & Krisztina

Answers

4
Dave,

As I stated in the first post, there are definitely some peaceful areas around the Las Vegas valley. I would be happy to point you to these areas and give you some information about them before you make any decisions. Hope to hear from you!

Len McGuirk, Realtor
Prudential Americana Group
Direct: (702) 203-6688
LenM@AmericanaGrp.com
The sin city reputation of Las Vegas does not do justice to the city of Las Vegas as a whole. There is a lot to more to the gambling industry and crime rate that often get highlighted by the media. I did find to my surprise when I moved here from California that Las Vegas has a lot to offer as far as quality of life and that also depends on what you are looking for or define as the quality of life. To me the quality of life could include great communities, lots of things to do such as hiking and biking at the Red Rock Canyon, snow skiing at Mt. Charleston which isn't far away, lots of great eating places, world famous entertainment, museums, huge libraries, have easy access to family oriented amenities, great educational opportunities (CSN, UNLV), affordable homes, diversity, excellent weather, and growth opportunities. All these are available in the wonderful city of Las Vegas. If you are interested in relocating, I would be more than happy to help you explore all the possibilities.
Dave and Krisztina- I lived and was licensed in Las Vegas for 8 years before moving to New Orleans last year. During my stay there I never had a problem. I lived in the SE part of town near the Green Valley boarder. There were times that I went to sleep with doors open and a couple of times with my garage open. Never had a problem. But I never went looking for trouble either.

I would suggest that you discuss the kind of life you want. Are you retiring? If so are you looking for a place that also has a club house? If so do you want to be able to go and have drinks and dinner there? One such place Stallion Ranch. Or are you looking to be able to have everything near you so your travel distance is short? Such as The District or Southern Highlands.

Vegas has something for everyone and Vegas is a LIFESTYLE. Decide on your lifestyle and then you will be able to find the where you want to live.
Web Reference: http://www.jdavidryan.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
Hi Dave & Krisztina,

That is a loaded question. Of course everyone will have their own opinion on this topic, however I will be happy to share mine with you. There are parts of the Las Vegas area that are very quiet and peaceful and there are other parts that are not so peaceful. If you are planning on moving to Las Vegas, just make sure you research the crime rates at the http://www.lvmpd.com website. This should give you a rough idea of which areas you would probably want to stay away from. There are many areas around the valley that have built up master-planned communities to protect the lifestyles of the residents within. Some of these include Green Valley, Seven Hills, Anthem, Summerlin and a few others come to mind.

If you are interested in talking more about this or if you would like to ask me questions about the real estate market and homebuying, please feel free to contact me anytime. Take care!

Len McGuirk, Realtor
Prudential Americana Group
Direct: (702) 203-6688
LenM@AmericanaGrp.com