Quality of Life in 91406>Question Details

bobj12873, Home Buyer in Sherman Oaks, CA

How is the 91406 area of Van Nuys? West of the 405 and north of victory, on Woodley Ave, is it safe, nice, not as bad as the rest of Van Nuys?

Asked by bobj12873, Sherman Oaks, CA Sat May 14, 2011

Answers

8
Hey Bob J,
This is probably an old posted question, but the bottom line is the entire SFV has it's pockets and problem areas. I am a huge fan of Lake Balboa and put my money where my mouth is in 2008. We moved here from West Hills against the opinions of others. My wife and I believed that the area would be the up and coming alternative to Encino and Sherman Oaks for young families and first time homebuyers for one main reason alone.
If you are a young professional working in Los Angeles, there are 3 likely places you will be punching in daily, Warner Center in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles or the WestSide. Proximity to the 405 freeway is critical unless you don't mind missing out on seeing your kids grow up. Used to trek from West Hills to Culver City and it took 45 minutes to get from Topanga to 405. Forget it. I want to be home before kids go to bed and see them before they leave.
Where you live is a state of mind in my humble opinion, you have to make what you can with what you have. Big fan of the proximity to all the recreation and activities #LakeBalboa has to offer. Our family and team call #LakeBalboa home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
This area is great place to live it is quite and close to shopping and metro also lake balboa where you can bike, jog, play tennis, play baseball even a picnic in the park. I love living here I feel so safe!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 9, 2012
The area you described is Lake Balboa city( W of 405 and S of Saticoy, N of Victory), . It is a nice smaller community. There is a link on the boundaries of LB: http://lakebalboanc.org/about-us/boundaries/.
I think, it is nice and relatively safe. Most of houses are owner occupied. The best part about this location: parks. What other city offers this much park ground?! Golf fields, tennis, biking and running trails, nice lake, Japanese Gardens, etc, etc, etc. Lake Balboa is a hidden gem of Valley:)
This is a much better part of Van Nuys, it's pretty much Lake Balboa and not Van Nuys. I just closed a deal in this neighborhood last week but have worked throughout the SF valley for as long as I can remember and I'm very familiar with each block. Let me know if you need any help in this area.
I live just on the other side of the 405 (just east of it) north of Victory, west of sepulveda, and love it. As others have said, there are good and bad pockets of Van Nuys, but the Lake Balboa area, and Midvale Estates area (where I live) are generally nice and safe.
What do you mean 'not as bad as the rest of V.N.'? I lived in the area you described myself for a few years, I never experienced any issues, but staff happens ..of course. If you want to check facts or specific information, check LAPD website: http://www.lapdonline.org/crime_mapping_and_compstat
Hi, I wish I would have seen this sooner! I live in this area, one block from Balboa Park. It is a lovely area and quite affordable. Please feel free to reach out if you are still looking to buy. My web site is http://www.MaryDigsLA.com. My office is in Sherman Oaks.
Web Reference: http://www.MaryDigsLA.com
If you are concerned about safety, do contact/visit the local authorities and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand; if unfamiliar with the area, do revisit more than once and at different times of day...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 14, 2011