Quality of Life in Old Lyme>Question Details

Chela, Home Buyer in New York, NY

How is living in Old Lyme in terms of people & amenities like shopping, bookstores, restaurants, cafes, movie?

Asked by Chela, New York, NY Tue Feb 12, 2008

theatres? Where do people go for these amenities if living in Old Lyme? Are people friendly there? What kind of people live there?

Answers

4
A good way to find out about Connecticut towns is to google "best towns in Connecticut." It will pull up Connectictut magazines listing of "the best towns" by size. It will give a break down on Old Lyme. Also, go to http://www.city-data.com. It will give you a break down by the numbers of Old Lyme. If I can answer any other questions let me know.
Gary McIntosh
McIntosh Realty @ Keller Williams Prestige
60 Long Ridge Rd
Stamford, CT
(203) 979-2132
gmcintosh@kw.com
http://www.mcintosh-realty.com
I have lived in Lyme for the past two years and absolutely love it! I have found the area to be picturesque and has the best of all worlds. Beaches, rolling pastures, wooded areas with hiking trails, river access for kayaking, and a large lake area. The people that I have met have been very welcoming and I have made many friends. The town offers many opportunities to get involved and meet other people. I have three children that attend the high school and they are actively engaged. I would highly recommend this area.
If you would like to know more about the town please don't hesitate to contact me at 860-343-7825

Lisa Golebiewski
Coldwell Banker Residentail Brokerage
I have lived in Old Lyme for three years. Prior to that I lived in Guilford for 18 and Killingworth for 12. I can say without hesitation that Old Lyme is my favorite - it's a great small town and the people here are very friendly. However, it depends on what you are looking for. Old Lyme has very little shopping and only one food market (A&P). There are no Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks or fast food restaurants. If like me, you want a quiet town without much traffic, that's a plus - if your looking for "action", Old Lyme may not be for you. The good news is that pretty much anything you want is within around fifteen minutes north or south of Old Lyme. Ten minutes south is Old Saybrook with a Super Stop & Shop, Walmart, Home Goods and many interesting small stores - also many restaurants. Ten minutes north is Niantic (part of East Lyme) where there is another Super Stop & Shop, movie theatre, small shops and restaurants. If you go a little further north you will find Lowes, anoter Walmart, Home Depot, the Crystal Mall and a number of mid-sized shopping centers. So in summary, in Old Lyme we have the best of all worlds - a beautiful shoreline town with very little congestion and great beaches but plenty of shopping, restaurants and just about anything else you might need within a twenty minute drive.

Hope this helps. I would be happy to show you around Old Lyme and answer any other questions you may have - give me a call on my cell - 860-876-0466.

Dale
Hi Chela,
Old Lyme is a lovely town. It is located at the mouth of the Connecticut River and enjoys both river and sound access. There is a charming historic center and Old Lyme boasts many beautiful properties in both in town and pastoral settings. There is rich artistic heritage to the community and a vibrant arts and music community today.

While most residents live there full time, Old Lyme is also popular with many upscale New Yorkers who chose it for both second homes, and retirement.

If you would like more information, or to see a selection of listings in and around Old Lyme, I would be pleased to help. We have offices in Essex, Madison, and Essex and extensive knowledge of the shoreline and lower CT River Valley.

Warm regards,
Bette Zollshan
Page Taft GMAC Real Estate
203-980-0099
http://www.bettezollshan.com
bzollshan@bettezollshan.com