Quality of Life in 90068>Question Details

Pearl, Other/Just Looking in 90068

How important is a view in pricing a canyon home?

Asked by Pearl, 90068 Thu Nov 8, 2007

Voices Member’s answer
From personal experience, the view is worth as much as a buyer wants to pay!

I would say a great view (for excample of the Los Angeles Sky-Line or on a clear day the Ocean sometimes even Catalina Island) could produce easy an additional 10-15% more to the seller.

If I can anwser any of your Questions please contact me at:

From an appraisal standpoint it is very important! It does depend on what type of view as well. Views, pools, guest houses are all extras that most realtors take into consideration when appropriately pricing a property. In the 90068 zip code it can be extremely important because the buyers looking in this zip code are looking specifically for a view home. The real question is whether a view is important to you or not? If you fall in love with a home that has a view and it is not a high priority on your list you will most likely be paying extra it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2007
Hi Pearl, A veiw is a subjective value factor.

The view is a value factor only in as much as it is better or worse than comparable views.
I use a 10%-15% baseline. Example: A similiar property with a view of City Lights or Ocean/Waterfront would be 10% higher than the same property with a Mountain view. The caveat....Location which will determine your buyer pool. Veiw is still a subjective value facxtor. If you could give a detailed description or example, someone will have a different perspective.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 9, 2007

As someone who has lives and works in the Hollywood Hills area, I would say that views definitely help raise the value of the house - especially if you can get some views of city/ downtown and on a clear day even the ocean. That said, a lot of other factors also play into the mix. For example - if a house has great views but really bad access roads to it then it would dilute the value created by the views alone. Makes sense?
Web Reference: http://www.avantika.com
Very important I would say.
It is only one of the many factors. The condition of the house, the size, etc.
Also, the type of view, canyon, mountain, city lights, etc..
More importantly, is the comparable properties on the market.

Saurabh Sethi
REMAX Hollywood Hills
Web Reference: http://www.sethihomes.com
A view in 90068 does matter. As a specific % - other factors have to be taken into consideration.

The view can sell the house!

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Wendy Taylor, CRS, GRI