Quality of Life in Jamaica>Question Details

E.d. Miller, Other/Just Looking in Mid-town NYC

How does Jamaica rate comp. to other Queens n.hoods in terms of quality of life, etc.

Asked by E.d. Miller, Mid-town NYC Tue Nov 27, 2007

Answers

5
Antolin Du Bois, CFP®’s answer
Crappy.

It is the epicenter of the foreclosure and subprime crises, and it never was a great nabe to begin with. Basically, most of the houses were old 1 family frames many converted to legal and illegal two family frame, but not really ever taken care of with love. The people who bought many of these houses were often decent people, but their kids often like to hang out, and the poor local schools- like Jamaica High School, reflect that. There is a cluster of activity at Jamaica center- where the E and F trains intersect the LIRR and the Light Rail to JFK, but aside from that section, most of Jamaica I would avoid. For a little more money, you can get a much nicer nabe- with better schools, better parks, better houses, and better youngsters.

Survey says: X-X-X
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 14, 2008
I am a former Jamaica, Queens resident myself, and I lived there 2 times. When I lived there the first time back in the 1970's, it was good and nice to live in, except for the South part of it. Back then, too many poor people moved into the South part, and when this happened, this was when the bad people moved in there too. But the other parts of it like Jamaica Estates, Hillcrest, and Jamaica Hills were good and nice parts of Jamaica to live in. However, I have to say regretably that even since the past, there was never really much to enjoy and do in Jamaica except to go shopping in the famous commercial shopping district starting from 168th Street and Jamaica Avenue, going all the way down Jamaica Avenue to 165th Street where the Jamaica Shopping Mall was and still is, and then continuing on Jamaica Avenue to Parsons Boulevard or Sutphin Boulevard.
Flag Mon Aug 19, 2013
I actually think that all of the respond Antolin gave reflects the changes that are to occur with the restructuring of Jamaica. I am in contract on a 2 family house accross the street from York College. The reason I am willing to move to Jamaica is that yes, so many foreclosures have brought investors to flip houses. Guess what? That just means young working couples will have modernized and still affordable homes! More people like myself are moving in and pushing out the drugs by paying our fair share of taxes and demanding police take action. We are landscaping, cleaning up the ruined and dishevled homes by renovating and restoring a decency that is well overdue for Jamaica. Now, the people have been foreclosed on and their kids evicted. It's time to take back this part of the city and gentrify it. I nearly moved to Long Island and look how that place is turning out! Crime ridden, high taxes, gov't corruption in Long Island, not to mention higher LIRR rates. I think I did myself a favor and in 10 years I'll reap the rewards.
It depends on where you are in Jamaica Queens. SouthEast Jamaica has had its challenges, but for the most part, it is being revitalized with lots of new housing. York College is in Jamica Queens, there are a lot of Caribbean and Soul Food restaurants. It is 15 minutes drive to Green Acres, shopping mall in Valley Stream. A lot of streets in Jamaica is quiet and residential. Yes, the subprime has hit this area hard, but with every loss there is a gain, meaning you can get a great deal on a home. Surrounding areas are St. Albans, Addeleigh Park (usually larger homes and mini mansions and higher Price) . Also Allen Cathedral Church, ex-Congressman Floyd Flake is the Pastor and lots of Private and Catholic Schools in the area. Lots of parks, like Baisley Park and Roy Wilkins Park where lots of area residents jog. I myself live in Jamaica Queens. I am an investor that has a house for sale in Jamaica Queens. I can be reached at: realestatesolutions3@gmail.com

Denise
If you are right near the train hub, ok.
Otherwise, pass.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 12, 2009
NOT CRAPPY!!

Jamaica Queens is a nice area, great shopping and most recently has become one of New York City's great
transportation hubs ( LIRR, Airtrain, subways). Great homes in the area , some better than others but this is not unique to Jamaica Queens.

Definately would recommend .