Quality of Life in 91942>Question Details

Kato, Other/Just Looking in La Mesa, CA

How can I get money back from my roommate who overcharged me for 14month.?

Asked by Kato, La Mesa, CA Mon May 5, 2008

I have been living La Mesa’s apartment with my roommate for 14month. We are (supposedly) splitting rent of$1300 for $690 and $610. Since he is using master bedroom, he is paying $690, and I am paying $610. However, today, I found out that our apartment rent is $1000 not $1300. So he was lying to me and I was paying more than half of our rent for 14month. At first, he was living in this apartment with other roommate, and I moved in after that person moved out. So I never know how much our rent was.

I have never made or signed agreement or contract with my roommate or apartment manager about rent. I know it is hard for me to get my money back when I do not have an agreement or contract, but is there any way I can get my overpaid rent back?

Help the community by answering this question:


I would try small claims court. No lawyer needed. No lawyer allowed!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 6, 2008
That's a tough spot to be in. However, as you stated, it may be difficult to do anything without a signed agreement between you and your roommate. As we cannot provide legal advice here on Trulia your best course of action would be to consult with an attorney. It will be your word against your roommates word.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 6, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer