Quality of Life in Austin>Question Details

Nomad, Other/Just Looking in Austin, TX

Houseguest not on the lease and now wants to come back to take more stuff

Asked by Nomad, Austin, TX Sun Jul 12, 2009

I had a house guest that was here for a month, and has left with a police escort. She was never on thelease, never paid any bills and has taken her stuff with her.
The police that were here told us that she techncally lives here and can come back when she pleases to take whatever else she wants?
Can she do that and what can I do to protect myself?

Austin, Texas

Help the community by answering this question:


You need to consult an attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 12, 2009
Dear Nomad,
I have to agree, you need a lawyer not a realtor. We are not qualified to give legal advice, only help you buy or sell a home. I wish you the best of luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 24, 2010
You need legal advice, not real estate advice.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 13, 2009
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

You may be able to get some free advice from the Austin Tenant's Council http://(www.housing-rights.org). One of their services is telephone counseling for Travis County residents. Out-of-town callers will be assisted if resources are available.

You should be able to rekey your locks if you give the landlord new keys (check your lease). My favorite locksmith is The Lock Doc (512-444-4333).

By the way, most leases allow guests to stay for only a few days a month. Allowing a guest to stay longer than allowed by the lease could put you in jeopardy of eviction.

None of the above should be considered legal advice.


Thomas Griffin
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 12, 2009
You may want to contact the Justice of the Peace's office of your designated precinct. You may need to file for eviction. Contact an attorney, as well. You can rekey your property if it is your house. You can also try to reason with the person and arrange to give them their items or set outside your door in a box for them.
Be careful who you allow to stay in your house....you're giving up your rights if you don't have a written agreement. Even if you have a written agreement, eviction is unpleasant and you still have to go through the process.....I know I'm a landlord for my own properties. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 12, 2009
J R is correct! Real estate agents cannot give legal advice. Here are two links that may be helpful to you:



Best of luck to you!

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 12, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer