Quality of Life in Ho Ho Kus>Question Details

Christina, Home Buyer in 11370

Ho Ho Kus

Asked by Christina, 11370 Sun Nov 23, 2008

I'm looking at a house in Ho Ho Kus on Stone Ridge Lane, but am worried that it's too isolated in terms of children. What do kids do if they're on a cul de sac street which is isolated like this? I'm worried that we'll move there and the kids won't have anyone to play with.

Thank you

Answers

8
Christina, Hohokus has one of the top rated schools in Bergen county. Having a house on a cul-de-sac is a big plus especially with kids because it is isolated from busy streets and therefore safer. As far as having someone to play with, you and your kids could go around the neighborhood introducing yourselves and seeing if there are kids to play with; if not, they could have playdates with kids they meet in school.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 24, 2008
Actually lots of people with kids scramble to find a home on a cul de sac and you will find yours will get plenty of play dates ( if you don't mind your house being full of kids all the time) as parents will be happy that their kids will be playing on a safe area. Buy that house and you can stop by and visit with me when I bring my old car to the car show at the Heritage museum held every year!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 24, 2008
Christina,
In addition to the schools, Ho Ho Kus has a great deal of extra curricular activities such as soccer, football, cheerleading and baseball. I am sure that your kids will find many new friends and classmates to play with.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 23, 2008
Hi Christina,

Ask your agent to interview all the neighbors and obtain a kid inventory. I do it all the time. You can make a better judgement once you know who has what in terms of kids, ages, etc. I recently sold a home to a couple on Hollywood, but there were plenty of kids behind the elementary school they backed up to. If there are really no kids around, that might give me some pause.

-Marc
Web Reference: http://www.marcpaolella.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 23, 2008
HHK is one of the top schools in the country. I live in HHK and it's the most family friendly town. It's a very small town and no matter what street you live on children, mom, dads, dogs are always walking around.

HHK was rates #1 town in NJ and top 6 town in the country!
nice house at 37 edgewood drive, ho ho kus............backs up to the school...........nyc transportation within walking distance............short distance to rt. 17...contact realtor for private showing
Let me give you a first hand perspective. I live on a cul-de-sac in Glen Rock and my wife and I feel there are definitely positives and negatives. The positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot. Positives: we can let our kids play outside and not have to constantly worry about traffic, the cul-de-sac is an additional place for them to play (my son and the kids on our block ride go-karts and play four square all the time), the cul-de-sac creates great family interactions - all of the parents are outside watching their kids and hanging out - the people who are at the end of the street (not the circular portion) are not nearly as involved as those who are actually in the cul-de-sac portion of the block, most importantly (for a new homeowner) - it really forces you to have interaction with your neighbors - which is a good thing (most of the time), and as many have said - other parents like the safety of a cul-de-sac, so they would be more inclined to allow their children to hang out at your house, rather than a house on a busy street. Negatives: I have to say that my son tends to hang out with kids that are not his age (most are younger) because they are always outside in this isolated area of the cul-de-sac, if you don't like some of the kids in the cul-de-sac, you will have an awfully hard time trying to discourage your kids from playing with them, and if you have neighbors who you don't get along with, you can never really escape them because the cul-de-sac actually acts as a inescapable social vacuum (which has pluses and negatives). Lastly, I agree with Marc below - try and get a kid inventory - it should be easy considering the kids will be outside during the day on the weekend due to the nice weather. Good luck.

If you have any questions regarding financing, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Ryan McPartland
ryan@themcpartlandgroup.com
http://www.themcpartlandgroup.com
nice house on 180 Mill Road fenced in yard plenty of property, plenty of young children on Boiling Spring Road off of Mill