Mama, Home Seller in 07093

Hi, we have to move to great neck because of my husband's work. We are looking to rent for a year or two, but

Asked by Mama, 07093 Tue Sep 23, 2008

i am concerned about the schooling. My daughter goes to a private montessori in NJ. She is in Kindergarten and doing very well. I was looking at the J F Kennedy School in Great Neck. Will it be easy to switch her there? We have to move in January 2009. Is it a good school? I researched on greatschools website as well as a few others and it seemed good. Also we don't want to be paying more than 2200 for rental. Can we find a three bedroom in that area for this much?

Answers

3
ARE YOU FOLKS BEING "FORCED" BY YOUR HUSBAND'S COMPANY TO BE *IN* GREAT NECK ITSELF?
If not, i HIGHLY suggest researching one of two options:
1. *Renting* a place that is by car, within 15 minutes or less of Great Neck *Itself*, just a few exits away on the highway could mean half the monthly payments!!!
The North Shore of LI, in general, absolutely is the area with the highest cost of living, in all aspects. It's a VERY expensive area to live, make rent/mortgage payments, taxes (if applicable), food and gasoline. everything. Dont get me wrong, it's a gorgeous place, good schools, good demographic, low crime rate, but it's a highly prestigous place to live. If you asked me, as a lifetime residing LI'er, where the most expensive place to live is in Nassau cty, one of the first things out of my mouth would be Great neck!
If you seek an easy way to land a rental of a 5 bedroom with a pool and all the bells and whistles, in the burbs, for under 2 thousand a month rent utilities included, look into areas such as Syosset, Plainview, Hicksville, Bethpage, Jericho, East Meadow, Wantaugh, Farmingdale, Huntington, maybe even
Old Westbury/Westbury.

2. Gettin g in on the low prices of houses during this period of recession/depression! With all these disclosures peole are making billions for haha's. By all means take advantage (ESPECIALLY if moving in 2 years! perfect!) of the low prices and take out a mortgage, which can be less then rent payments for sure. The major disadvantage is taxes. HOWEVER, if 1-2 yrs is all you'll be staying in the home, it probably would work out if you set up a savings fund of sorts to add the difference between the money youd be spending on the cost of rent being 2 grand compared to the mortgage payments for the period of time until taxes are due, at which time the money saved over renting may very well cover the taxes and you may even walk away with cash you built up if the annual taxes arent as high as the savings of a mortgage payment compared to a rental payment, per month!

A third option, would be your husband commuting a little to get to work in GN. If he is open about it, research/consider areas in new york state such as the catskills, 1-2 hours outside the city. I saw a place on craigslist where there were 3 acres, a barn, huge place fully rennovated very recently, pool, etc etc etc. close to highway and public transportation (local busses etc lead to mass transit into large terminals locate din nyc where there are trains to great neck round the clock. Gas prices as they are may make public transit the best option. If this is not of concern, the house i was looking at was located right off I85, and within an hour and 30 min form the city by car (hour by train). Here's the kicker. THE ASKING PRICE WAS 24 GRAND AND CHANGE!!! I mean, sure, you'd be far from your husbands job (1.5-2hrs by car) in a place majorly consisting of small towns tucked into crevices in mountains. Tight-knit, low-crime FRIENDLY communities, surrounded by unpopulated pristine forests, bodies of water, wildlife in no shortage, should your children or yourself enjoy nature and the joys of all it's creations. A magical place (i've lived tehre, i know.) where living is laid back, and has major perks, where most houses are either luxurious historical type places or new construction mansions, placed on large multi-acre lots, many wooded with streams, and the like, all for under 100 thousand dollars? MOST BEING UNDER FIFTY THOUSAND?!
Yes. The Catskills and that area of New york *just* outside the invisible line that denotes the "Metro area" is the way to do it. Whether staying long term, or moving in two years where market will be back to normal, or at least out of an industry facing record-breaking lows.

Whichever path you seek, http://www.craigslist.com is an outstanding resource, for both rentals and for-sale homes in all areas discussed and beyond. (I forgot to mention Suffolk Cty LI. Anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour or more, east, if you hit the hamptons or surrounding areas, say, commute to Great Neck, and while there are indeed areas/towns with higher crime rates and a far different demographic than an area such as Great Neck or Kings Park, the larger picture is a Suffolk full of large LOW COST rural homes, built close enough to LIE for easy commute and far enough for privacy unsurpassed in the metro area. Don't overlook Suffolk cty

The general rule to live by here, is listed below. I refuse to leave out, since i took an hour of early-AM workout for the brain to respond here and hopefully shine some light on your issue, as welcome you to Long Island! :) Take note on this last thing and enjoy your stay here in the lovely place we're grateful to call home --
The main thing is do not use a broker, if renting. On the same token, if at all possible do not use a broker if buying. Especially on the N. Shore. They'll eat you alive!

I Sincerely hope this response has helped you or someone else.

B.
Web Reference: http://www.craigslist.com
In regards to your school question, please visit this website http://www.bestplaces.net/ for any schooling information. Since you will be part of the Great Neck comminuty in January 09, it would be easy to switch your daughter to this school.

I have checked the rental market in Great Neck, and so far I have only found one rental that is listed for $2,300. There is another one listed for $2,700, and anything else is above $3,000
To respond to the school question: Realtors are not allowed, by law, to discuss communities or schools...it is very subject.

I can refer you to websites (which it seems you have already checked out).

Regarding what you can get for $2200 or under, if you contact me off line at Gail@GailGladstone.com, I will be happy to provide you with a free account at listingbook.com. You can automate your rental search; it will be under your total control, and a report will be on your desktop each day providing you with new listings, etc.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com