Quality of Life in Austin>Question Details

Janna J, Renter in Queens, NY

Hi thinking of relocating from NYC to Austin, which areas would be good for a single female that offers things to do close by?

Asked by Janna J, Queens, NY Mon Jul 25, 2011

Answers

35
Janna,

It is not unreasonable. If I where you working in the industry you do I would be contacting the BMW/ Mini dealership. It is owned by Peneske and they are growing leaps and bounds, MINI that is.

I know that I have had friends as well as clients be able to live in the Domaine for approx $900. You can get a place for $750 in that general area just without all the bells and whistles. I would not say you need to be hip to want to live in that area it is just safe. Hip would be more like SOCO area 78704. It really depends on your personal taste and style. I think the more eclectic the more Austin it is.

I know you say you commute now but that is probably metro vs car. Here in Austin you have mostly car but can do Metro depending on your work location.

I hear from your previous posts that you prefer a apartment. There are so many nice complexes to choose it would be to really narrow down your criteria of the bells and whistles that are important to you and the location of where you would work. Then we work on which complexes offer what you need first then those that have your wants and desires lastly.

Hope this offers some insight to your relocation. If you want personal advice I am always available to call, text or email.

Warmest Regards,

Vanessa Nunez
Oh, it's so not like that here but I know what you're talking about. Austin will always be Austin. I've been here off and on for 20 years and it's still as nice as it was when I got here. It's gotten better, though, because of all the quirky big city influence (and money) making it have the offerings of a big city but it still feels like old Austin, in my opinion.

When you come down, i you want fI'll take you to the meetup...it was so down to earth and wonderful and such a tiny little niche of people. Of course, you had some folks constantly on their blackberries haha but it still very nice.

Will be nice to have another NYer down here!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 30, 2011
Budget was 750-900, not 1700+. Way off. *sigh*
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 29, 2011
If you're looking to live near 6th street you may need to find a roommate to offset the costs. Apartments can be pretty steep downtown but if you're willing to commute, check out the Lakeline Mall/620 area. They have a lot of apartments available for your price-range if you're wanting to live alone. Hope this helps!
My son lives there and loves it. He knows the city inside out and may be able to assist you. Having been born and raised in New York, I will tell you that living in Texas is different. I also went to high school in Astoria. Email me at musica40@hotmail .com and I will answer any questions you might have.

Angel Morales
Forest Hills Gardens was named "Best Community" in 2007 by Cottage Living Magazine. The adjacent Van Court community also contains a number of detached single-family homes. There are also attached townhouses near the West side Tennis Center and detached frame houses near Metropolitan Avenue. Finally, there are a number of apartment buildings scattered throughout the community. The most notable high-rise apartment buildings are The Continental on 108th St, Kennedy House, the Pinnacle, and the Windsor.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/forest-hills-queens#ixzz1UBhVnfbu
I am by ditmars blvd and 28th street. Ack I just hope its not like say south Florida where it just becomes bad because everyone from the northeast migrated there. Looking to move for cheaper cost if living, more job opportunity, and I have close friends all over Texas. After doing research Austin was the city that stood out.
Funny - where are you there? We were at 46th and Newtown and 30th Ave and 31st. Are you bringing or getting a car? If not, you're really going to be stuck to a couple of neighborhoods - Clarksville and Hyde Park. Clarksville is difficult to get anything under 1000 but Hyde Park is totally doable for your budget. When I started out I did lots of rentals (still do) and I put lots of out of towners in Hyde Park bcause there are lots of busstops and things to walk to.

If you're bringing a car, it opens up alot of possibilities. You can get a cute apartment for your price range. One tip is to try and not move down in July/August because we have 50,000 students all trying to secure housing, all at the same time.

What's bringing you down here? I dont think it said anywhere in your postings. There are lots of NYers here. I just went to a meetup the other night called Manhattan Mafia that was for NYCers now ATXers.
I am in Astoria also. Yes walking everywhere is an advantage but I know nyc is one of the few cities its possible. I lived on long island for a few years so surburbia and driving everywhere doesn't bother me. However I know what you mean.
In addition to what I said a minute ago, ther are all kinds of rentals all over Austin. You can find affordable apartments down the street from high dollar ones. They're sprinkled in all over the place. What you don't want is to be lured into the outer areas of Austin because of the pricing otherwise you'll be defeating the purpose of coming here. Also, having come from NYC you are going to defintiely be missing some elements of the city. The one I miss the most is the ability to walk EVERYWHERE. In the outlying areas you're not walking to anything.

Anyway, just my .02 on having relocated here myself from Queens/NYC.
What part of Queens are you in? I lived in Astoria for five years and now am back in Austin and I love it. To answer your questions, basically any part of central austin would be good for you.

With kind regards,

Angele Moyseos
Realtor®
Vox Real Estate LLC
mobile 512.466.8252
fax 888.692.0213
escapesomewhere.com

Referrals are the highest compliment. If you know someone who needs assistance buying, selling or leasing real estate, please remember us.
If you have a budget of $1700+. Here are some downtown austin video tours, views, things to do and places to eat.

Night Scene Downtown from the 33rd floor of the 360 Condo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFrgeg6kXD0
Day Scene Downtown from the 33rd floor of the 360 Condo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAKrsBfjJZg
Hike and Bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8t_Z6OfFWo
Food and the W Hotel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbW5M6nkMOc
3rd and Lavaca: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjiKgoGyta0
Janna,

Sounds great if you have any questions in the mean time I am sure that Ryan as well as myself will be available to answer them. Have a great day!

Warmest Regards,
Vanessa Nunez
Thanks Ryan and Vanessa, both of you have been a tremendous help. I will be sure to be in contact with both of you as the date draws near. The only thing delaying me right now is the need to save enough money to move to another state. (Obviously it's hard in my current situation so I am looking for a cheaper place here to stay temporarily until I have enough to move hopefully next year).
Not a problem Janna. Please feel free to email me at ryanreber@kw.com and we can search for what you're looking for.

Ryan Reber
Keller Williams
512.554.1106
Web Reference: http://www.WelcometoATX.com
I should add I don't need to be downtown. I'm not what could be considered "hip" or "hipster" in the least. In fact I would rather avoid it if I can help it. I have plenty of that here! :-)
Hi Vanessa,

Checked both places you listed and they both start close to $1000. A little higher than what I wanted to spend.

If my budget is unreasonable, I understand. Or I could be looking at the wrong job site and maybe I would be able to make more there. (I work in accounting and finance for an automotive dealer). But from what I've seen most are only offering $15-$17 an hour which would make affording $1000-$1300 a month pretty rough.
Janna,

You can do that in the domaine area. I know people who live there and that falls into your price range. I would highly consider it for many reasons. Safety, location, nightlife, etc. Etc. Here is the link to the apartments in the Domaine http://www.villagesatthedomain.com/

Warmest Regards,

Vanessa Nunez
Thanks Ryan for paying attention! :)

For background purposes, I pay $1200 a month now for a 1BR here in Queens which is cheap by NYC standards. I make $45,000 a year which means literally half my salary goes to rent after taxes. (Yes taxes here are high). Given that it looks like I would be making about $35,000 - $40,000 in Austin, paying the same amount in rent there MAKES NO SENSE. For that I could stay where I am.

Which zip codes could I look into where I could pay maybe $850 (I'll raise the amount for posterity but not looking to exceed $1000 because in TX I would need a car where as here I don't) and be in a relatively safe area? Commuting is not so much an issue as I am used to it.

Thanks!
Did you guys not read her answers? All the places you are advising her are $300 over what she said she would like to spend.

If you are going to advise a client, you should listen to them. Just saying.

Ryan Reber
Keller Williams
512.554.1106
Web Reference: http://www.welcometoatx.com
Obviously Austin is a great town for music so if you like the blues go to TC's Ice House on Monday nights and check out the Little Elmore Reed Blues band!
Downtown Austin. If you are looking to rent there are several great mid and highrise apartments such as Gables 5th Street Commons, Gables Pressler, Gables Park Plaza, Cole, Monarch, Ashton, Amli Downtown, Amli on 2nd, and 300 North Lamar. There are several yoga studios downtown along with shops and restaurants. Town Lake is a very popular place to run, take your dog, paddle board, canoe, etc. Please feel free to contact me at 512-695-5144 or kristee@theleadersrealty.com
Janna,

I migrated from the Seattle Metro in 2006.....Austin is a great small city with lots of job opps and a never ending stream of festivals. There are very nice apartments in the North Central and South Central areas of Austin. If you are in the downtown core, your budget will fall a bit short, no worries though, save your money for playing..... I would look for a newer apartment complex that is gated and has a great pool area. Both locations will allow you amazing access to nightlife and restaurants. I live in South Austin on the edge of the Hill country and it is beautiful and many of the shopping areas are new, so they are crisp and clean. In my area there are several wineries within 20 minutes or less! You probably know this, but Austin has one of the highest numbers of restaurants per person in the United States!

If you need help with the logistics, restaurants or with finding a great apartment to land in, drop me a line or call anytime.

Robert H. Nelson
Real Estate Broker
The Associates Austin
512.517.4432, direct
robert@highway290west.com
Janna,

The areas I would suggest best for you would be the Domaine area the Post another nice apartment that a lot of people that are single live and feel very safe in both of these. The Domaine is a very hip place with shopping and restaurants. Check it out http://www.simon.com/mall/landing/1207/ . Hope it helps. Austin Rocks! If you would like any other suggestions here is my contact info 512-750-5716 or email vanessanunez.realtor@gmail.com

Warmest Regards,
Vanessa Nunez
VOX Real Estate, LLC
http://www.escapesomewhere.com
If you are looking for safety and something nice buy yourself, you don't want to be in any of those zip codes you mentioned. As an experienced apartment locator I have seen almost every apartment in the Austin area.

I have a database of every apartment in Austin. I can send you some apartments if you like so you can get an idea of what is out there.

Ryan Reber
Keller Williams
512.554.1106
Janna J, give me a call and I'll be able to help you personally one on one. 512.820.3028. Look forward to hearing from you. chrispenahomes.com
Ouch. I was just checking listings that were in my price range. I'm guessing I would need a roommate if I was in downtown proper? (It's the same way here, for Manhattan you need a roommate, elsewhere you might not). I was seeing places in North and North west Austin that were in the 500-1000 range for a 1 BR, which is ideally what I would be aiming for. Zip codes I have are 78723, 78722, 78741 and 78729. Do those areas qualify?

As for activities, maybe some good bike trails, tennis, and some nightlife would be ideal.

Thanks so much for all of your help!
Okay at $750 p/month I may be able to get you a nice place if you have a roomate that can also pay $750.00 p/month. Let me know if you need more information-Austin is very diverse and New Yorkers easily adapt to the Austin culture.

Email: nancizimmerman@yahoo.com for more information.

Thanks Janna-
Would also suggest you check out different areas in South Austin-still easy access to retaurants, live music, shopping but will fit your budget more easily. Are there other interests you want to be close to-parks, bike trails, pools etc. Austin has a wealth to offer so you may want to start working with a Realtor to narrow down the areas that specifically fit your criteria. And want to extend an eary Welcome.....
Sonia Roberts, Realtor
Canady Realty
512) 709-1811
Sonia@Canadyrealty.com
Depends on your price range but downtown is great, South Congress, South first area, Burnet road area and zilker areas are nice too.
Looking to rent next year, and judging from checking jobs, I should be making enough to pay at maximum about 750 a month for rent.
I would agree with Jen Butel. Downtown Austin is where it's at for a single female looking for things to do that are close by. Austin is no NYC, but that's why you are moving here, yeah? ;-)

Doug Vogelsass
512-739-0457
Downtown condos are popular, walking distance to restaurants, Whole Foods, live music, town lake and much more. 78704 remains a popular area as well for many of the same reasons. Best Wishes!
The Domain in Northwest Austin would be perfect for you!. Call me I can help you find a place! What is your price range?

Nanci Zimmerman
512-784-8692
Team West Real Estate
nancizimmerman@yahoo.com
Central Austin. Some people may say south or east, but a lot of those areas are still in transition so they may not be the best. You can get to anywhere in Austin to enjoy it, just make sure you are comfortable with your home.

Ryan Reber
512.554.1106