Peteypablo, Home Buyer in Miami Beach, FL

Hi Guys, I'm recently moving from Miami to San Francisco and I would like to know what are safe neighborhoods there? how safe is it there?

Asked by Peteypablo, Miami Beach, FL Thu Feb 4, 2010

Like any big city there are great, safe neighborhoods to live in and some not so great areas. Some of the areas that get more sun and are nicer are The Marina, Russian Hill, Cow Hollow, Pacific Heights, Soma and then good family areas are Noe Valley and West Portal. The best advice I can give you is to fly to San Francisco and spend a long weekend there. Visit the different areas and go to restaurants, shops and parks and just start talking to as many people as you can. You will hear the good and the bad. After visiting these areas you will feel it in your gut which one fits you best. San Francisco is a great town, it's very diverse and there is a lot to do. Have fun!
San Francisco is a great city and it's a lot of fun and full of everything to do. Lot's of professional singles and young families, even empty nesters are moving back.

Every neighborhood will have some crime. After all, 2nd to Manhattan, SF is the most densely populated city in the U.S. That being said, partner with a Realtor who knows the city very well and can tell you exactly which blocks within a neighborhood are better than others and why.

Also, "safe" is a relative word, so also find a Realtor who asks questions of you that will help determine the type of neighborhood you seek.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 12, 2010
Hi Petey,

Check out:

This is a great website which has various types of crimes mapped out by area/city. To pin point by specific neighborhoods one can enter a property address.

S.F. is a city and crimes can and do happen every where, even in our “safer” neighborhoods. One does need to be aware of surroundings and take appropriate steps to protect oneself.

Defining "safe" is really a matter of one's perspective and comfort level.

It is a fantastic city and one that I’ve been fortunate enough to have been raised in.

Best wishes,

Cheryl Bower, Realtor , GRI, ABR
Cell 415.999.3450
Zephyr Real Estate
DRE#: 01505551
Web Reference:
San Francisco is a great! town to live in and work in not to mention visit for pleasure! And, this is City living so there's a certain amount of mischief and mayhem around, too. However, San Francisco has so many good and safe neighborhoods ~ really really great. Unique, full of local and international flavors and character. I hope you will enjoy it here. Also, I'm part of Neighborhood Parks Groups and a follow a number of local Neighborhoods Community groups so I know from the local police reporting that statistically crime is down over-all and yes, some neighborhoods are "safer" (both actually and perceived) than others which seem to have more trouble. I've lived and worked in the City for over 26years.... and have lived in at least six different parts of town. So in order to answer your questions fully... a few things need to be known... such as do you want to lease or own? Do you want condo living or single-family residence? What is your property size requirement and price point? Based on your answers to these questions and others I could give you suggestions for parts of town to search for housing where you might feel most safe and satisfied with your SF experience. Welcome to SF... I'm a transplant from Wisconsin via Sevilla, Spain myself. 26 years and counting!

Call or e me if you'd like some real estate help before you get here or after. Best, Callista
Check out Gives a cool break down of neighborhoods.
If you are moving from Miami, I don't think you will have an issue with safety here in SF. Watch the weather as mentioned below. The ocean side of town gets a lot more fog than the Bay side.

There are a number of neighborhoods that would work - depends on whether you want single family or condo, and what your price range is. If you want to check out crime stats the sf police department has a website that you can use to check crime stats using addresses -

San Francisco is a complicated market - we use our own contract and have lots of disclosures and issues that exist nowhere else, so you want to have an experienced and knoweldgeable broker to guide you through.
If you want to get a head start on getting a feel for the market an automated search can be set up for you through the MLS so you start getting listings.

There are many reputable brokers who post here - I would interview a few to get a feel for who is the best fit. We regularly work with buyers on the east coast and abroad so we have a solid understanding of what your needs are and are happy to assist.

Lance King/Managing Broker
DRE# 01384425