chrismore.te…, Renter in Pittsfield, MA

Hello! elocating to the Pittsfield end of September. Would it be cost effective to live in the Pittsfield area and work elsewhere?

Asked by chrismore.teresa, Pittsfield, MA Wed May 29, 2013

Answers

10
I work in Pittsfield but I live in North Adams. It's much cheaper to rent, and somewhat cheaper to buy plus I strongly prefer north county personally.

The time I spend driving I easily make up not having to wait in line at the supermarket.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 25, 2013
THU. 7-3-14 LOL ..."Not having to wait in line at the supermarket." :D
Price Chopper isn't that bad in Pittsfield. Less traffic at the Lenox Price Chopper. I get lost in BIG Y.. And to think they are expanding!
Downfall is their Deli Dept.

I've just read the State Police Narcotics CREW rounded up '11' people from No. Adams & Pittsfield on Heroin Distribution charges. Pittsfield is a mess. Did you read the story of the Crazy on Francis Ave. who held his neighbor hostage & put a gun to his head? (Black powder gun..No idea what that is.) He was friends with neighbors until the Crazy went & hit his young son hard! So the neighbors took the boy with him to their house...& CLICK to READ ..unless you have. I came up here from NYS. Nothings different there. Drugs & Guns are everywhere.
Sad but true. Not a slow News day in Pittsfield! Stay Safe!
Flag Thu Jul 3, 2014
Thanks!!! I'm making my first trip out in 2 weeks : ) Can't wait to see all the areas I've been told about!
Flag Wed Jun 26, 2013
Also Adams is generally cheaper than Pittsfield as well, and I've seen some great stuff in Lanesboro and Cheshire with great lots.
Flag Tue Jun 25, 2013
What do you consider elsewhere?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 29, 2013
Ha! Anywhere else! I'd like to stay near western MA... I have family there (older relatives) who say the drive everywhere else (Adams, Lenox, Great Barrington, Westfield, etc...) is bad!! It's all a matter of perspective and I need another perspective : ) I'll be visiting at the end of June and then possible moving as soon as late September. I guess my goal is to get a job as close to Pittsfield as possible, but not sure how far away is still do-able?? I've relocated out of state before (now live in Madison WI), so do have some experience with the pitfalls of moving out of state!
Flag Wed May 29, 2013
THU. 7-3-14 You posted on May 29th you were coming to visit in JUNE. After reading you are in WI...You should listen to your Aunt Vibs! She's Spot on about bad areas in Pittsfield. Ask her to elaborate on the Crime & Drugs here. There are some good places the farther EAST you live I'm told.

The farther WEST you go it's like the Hood! I came up from NYS. Nothing different here form there. Crime & Drugs is all over. How old are you that you are looking for a job here? Many unemployed people here.

I lived in LENOX for 4 yrs.& hated it. Like a 'Mini Kennedy Compound'. Everyone seemed to know the others business. NO THANKS! I'm in Pittsfield. Don't come up here thinking you can roam the streets or the Police will stop you. They do it to many. READ NEWS online at the Berkshireagle.com

NO SLOW NEWS DAY IN PITTSFIELD!! OR in No. Adams where '11' people (Including Pittsfield) were arrested for Heroin distribution. NICE! :/ OR the Crazy that held his neighbor Hostage with a gun to his head a few days ago! >> It's not how you "Perceive things" ..like you said to a few others on here.
It's a REALITY CHECK! It is what it is HERE. Rethink before a permanent move. Especially, if no job to relocate to.

If you come up here to live...Stay with your Relatives if they have room for you. Don't play the role of 'Tourist' here. Worst thing you can do. Seriously. Be careful who you make friend with! I was born and lived in NYS my whole life. No one ever messed with me. If they tried, they dealt with me & my extensive law enforcement family. I wish you all the best!
THU. 7-3-14 Hi! I see this is from May 29th. Are you are still looking to live/work in Pittsfield MA?
Did you find anything yet? (Apt/home). Check Berkshireeagle.com Click on MARKETPLACE & Drop it down to HOMES. You can type in search box what you are looking for & what city. It will give current listings of Homes & Apts. (Some listings are still posted even though an Apt. has been rented.)
I found you can also look at a 2 BR. or more with a difference of $50.00+ between a 1 BR. & a 2 BR. (Good for extra space or family or friends)

The bottom line is your income & whether you want to pay for Utilities or not. Many Landlords are not paying utilities. The days of 'EVERYTHING INCLUDED' are gone. They put it on the tenant.
There are a few that have at least Heat & Hot Water provided.
Also, it's whether you want to Drive to Pittsfield MA from wherever you are currently at?
With prices of Gas & distance, if a Company covers it & pays it for you, than that wouldn't be a problem.

Also check with Zillow.com as they have many pictures posted of the inside to see what it is. Trulia.com has some too. Also check rhabc.com for Rentals or possibly sales on Homes.

You still have time to look for a September move or early October 2014. Some places have Month. to Month Rentals, if you don't want a lease. TRY: online checking for Apts. at Whalingproperties.com ( or .org) They have great pictures of Apts on Zillow & on their site. CALL: Rebecca Weeks Or Val Whaling at: 413-464-3896 Whaling owns many properties in a lot of states. Most have Laundry Facilities inside the Apt. or in Bldg. TRY: DiRonRealty.com CALL: 413-448-6257 Ask for Diane Marcella or Ron, her husband. (Ron renovates many Bldgs.) They have many properties ALL have Laundry facilities in the Apts. Big Plus! Pictures of them online, But only 1 BR, Furnished, is Available on Aug. 15th. I didn't take it as I want my own furniture. Diane also is at rhabc.org as a treasurer. There are few Apts. & Home listlings. Click on SEARCH APTS.

All the best!
Chris and Teresa,
I am right over the boarder and may have some options for you... If I cant help you, I will get in touch with some of my Local Realtor friends and get you fixed up.
Lets talk about where you are working and we can go from there.
Dennis Evans
Coldwell Banker
518-649-2507
( you can call or text )
or email at dennis.evans@coldwellbankerprime.com
It depends on how far you are considering "elsewhere" actually is!
I HAVE A HOME 3 BED ROOMS 130,000
ANGELO.5@JUNO.COM
I have a beautiful home for rent in New Ashford, ma 20 minutes to Pittsfield in a quiet neighborhood. Email me at deballen36@verizon.net if interested.
Pittsfield is a moderately priced community, but surrounding areas, within commuting distance, can be more affordable. There is not a lot by way of public transportation, though, so that may factor into your decision. The taxes in areas like Hancock are particularly low. There are great affordable homes in Adams, Cheshire, and Lanesborough and many people commute from there. If you are interested, I would be happy to help you find a great home that meets your needs, help you connect with outstanding lenders, attorneys, home inspectors, and tradespeople. I am a Certified Buyers Agent, and in nearly all cases, the seller's agent covers my fee. Feel free to contact me and let's see if you would like to work together. Welcome to the Berkshires!
Anne Meczywor, Broker/Associate
Roberts & Associates Realty, Inc
413-637-4200 X 11
Hi Teresa,
you must have a reason for relodating to Pittsfield area and the best scenario would of course be to live in your favorite location and find a job there as well.
I would be happy to elaborate on the subject, but need more info.
Don't hesitate to contact me with your real-estate needs, I am a local realtor, familiar with the Berkshire towns.
Hope that you'll find the place best suiting your needs. Have a very happy Spring.
Dagmar Kubes, Broker Associate Barnbrook Realty 413 528-6485,
E-mail: DagmarRealty@verizon.net
Thanks! I will be moving out there to live near my mother's family. My grandmother is in Pepperell and my Aunt, Uncle and Cousin live in Pittsfield. I don't have any family here now (mom passed years ago, kids have moved out of state...) At this time, it's a "why not"???? :) I have never been to the Berkshires or to MA (other than in 1977 to Pepperell!!) so that's why I'm asking : ) Aunt Vibs says there are bad parts of town in Pittsfield but one person's perception may not be the same as anothers : ) I know realtors can't refer to a particular part of town - don't worry : )
Flag Wed May 29, 2013