Quality of Life in Atlanta>Question Details

Bre, Other/Just Looking in Atlanta, GA

Hello. I name is Bre. I live in Atlanta, GA in a 3 bed room apartment with my 2 kids, age 7 and 1. I allowed

Asked by Bre, Atlanta, GA Thu Jan 31, 2008

friend of mine to move in because he and his daughter had been evicted and had no place else to go. They moved in in July of 2006 and have not left. Neither of them are on my lease and he refuses to get a job. He does not contribute to any bills or rent. He's basically a free loader. I told him to get out of my house on Jan. 8th 2008 and gave 30 days to do so. The 30th day is feb. 7th. Is there anything else that i need to do. We have a verbal agreement that he is to leave. What else do I need to do to ensure that after the 7th he will be gone.

Help the community by answering this question:


Not being a lawyer, and not giving legal advice, as I understand it, you will have to give 60 days written notice to move if he doesn't move voluntarily. Without a lease he is a month to month tenant. If you initially had an agreement that he would pay rent and he defaulted you could evict immediately but if you let them live rent free without any kind of rent due, then you have a tenant at will and you have to give 60 days notice to change the current agreement or end the current agreement. Talk to a lawyer and confirm this before you do anything, but I think this is what you are going to find out! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2008
Did you start the process yet or did he move out?
Web Reference: http://www.rmr-usa.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 2, 2008
Begin and end all of your communication with the freeloader with written notices.

Hire a lawyer if needed.
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2008
Bre, very sorry about your situation. I did some research about a year ago in Georgia concerning the laws regarding a situation not unlike your own. What I learned from the courts and detective on the case was that absolutely "anyone living in a home" with or without a contract while living there is a tenant even when money is not received or agreed upon. Be sure that you begin the eviction process now so that if this person does not leave as requested you can remove him legally.

Isn't it sad that your kindness was not respected or appreciated.
Web Reference: http://www.rmr-usa.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer