Davidleopike, Home Buyer in Holland, MI

Grand Haven vs Holland vs Muskegon for retirement. Please help me decide.

Asked by Davidleopike, Holland, MI Thu Feb 2, 2012

I have been retired 9 years and currently live in a small rural town of about 2,000 people. Closest grocery store is 15 miles away! We are looking at these three areas for our summer, but main home before heading southwest for the winter. Any advice on why we should consider one over the other greatly appreciated.

Answers

4
I love living in Grand Haven, we live just a little outside of downtown and work downtown---close to everything, but not on top of all the "busy" in the summer. I own BlueWest Properties and 85% of our clients are either second home buyers or those looking to retire to the area. Should you desire help in looking, please give me a call---I would be happy to personally assist you in your search. I LOVE IT HERE:-)

Meghan Heritage
Broker, BlueWest Properties
616-581-2241
meghan@bluewestproperties.com
Brenda gave you a Great Answer!

I might suggest the White Lake area as well. Whitehall and Montague are a couple nice small towns that have a charater all their own.

Good luck in your search!
I retired 3 years ago and had the same questions as you. I did a little research and found that Grand Haven is the best place to live on the lake shore. My wife and I sold our home in Wyoming, MI. and moved to Grand Haven. It has been the greatest place to live and meet people. Everyone is so friendly and fun place with things going on all the time. You can participate in the many activities that go on or just relax and watch the world go by. We have the NOCCOA (North Ottawa County Council on Aging) in a new building next door to the Library in Downtown Grand Haven.
I loved moving here so much that I decided to get my Real Estate License and help people like myself relocate to Grand Haven. I work for City2Shore Real Estate, the brokers that sold my home and helped me purchase the condo we are currently living in.
If you would like more information on what people our age do in Grand Haven please let me know.

Gene Woodman
Agent City2Shore Real Estate
616-826-6119
Web Reference: http://www.City2Shore.com
Having grown up and still live in the area I can understand the question of which is the best place? All 3 areas offer so much it really comes down to what is it that you are wanting in a community? Holland is an area that is growing and is changing. Still a great place to raise a family, a great downtown area, great tourist destination. Holland itself as I said is developing as a good shopping destination with several shopping options along 31 and many restaurants to choose from. The housing market as you know has hit all areas of Michigan, in Holland you will find probably more developments of subdivisions than in Grand Haven or Michigan. The negatives about Holland is the location of the city itself to the beaches and the lake. One must drive there is no walking paths that take you directly to beaches.

Moving up the coast to Grand Haven, Coast Guard City. A city that comes alive in the summer, quiet and quaint in ther seasons. If you are someone who loves the activities of the waterfront, entertainment of different festivals going on almost every weekend, love to take walks along the beach, walk the parks, enjoys boating or just want to sit a people watch Grand Haven may be the place. This city has a smaller downtown, has some really great restaurants to enjoy. There is no other city on the lake shore that you can walk from the highway all the way to the beach. The city thrives on the waterfront. The housing market in Grand Haven has remained fairly steady although there are some great values there too. There are many housing areas in Grand Haven where you can walk from your home to water in a matter of minutes. Friendly city welcoming city.

Next comes Muskegon, which I call the city that is sleeping now but be ready as it has so much to offer. There is an upswing of urban renewal going on for Muskegon out of all 3 has been hit the economically hit the hardest. The housing values have decline the most in this area therefore it makes for a very desirable place to purchase a home. There is no other city along the lakeshore that has a much waterfront there are 3 state beaches and 1 city beach. There is Mona Lake, , Muskegon Lake and then Bear Lake and Lake Michaigan to enjoy. As for a community this city also thrives in the summer with events happening all summer long. The city has been working hard to develope a walking path and bike path around the lakes as well to take you to other northern cities. There are great medical facilities in Muskegon which as you stated possible of choices to retire medical care may be a concern. It is close and yes all 3 are close to Grand Rapids for care as well. Muskegon has 2 great hospitals each specializing in different medical concerns. Plenty of shopping can be found in Muskegon as well downtown or at the Lakes Mall. I may be a little more particial to Muskegon as this is where I call home but the rest of family may different as they live in Grand Haven

I could go on more about each but I will stop for now. If you would like more information I would be happy to talk to you more about each one. I hope this helps you a little.
I am considering moving to that region with my family which includes three young children. Can you give me any info on raising a family there? Can you swim in the lake ? How would you compare these places to Traverse City? Thanks.
Flag Fri Apr 11, 2014