Cbradfordshi…, Home Buyer in Germantown, TN

Germantown vs Collierville

Asked by Cbradfordshireton, Germantown, TN Sat Feb 21, 2009

So, I understand that Germantown used to be the go-to place for the area about 15 years ago and Collierville has a cozy small town feel because of the town square that, quite honestly, I would only have time to visit when folks were in town to visit. I'm moving to the area and am torn between the two areas still.

Some people tell me Collierville has disparate residential areas where you might have a mcmansion very close to a trailer. A slight exaggeration I know, but still...That kind of thing is only charming in midtown where you have anti-bellum homes and garbage can divers. That's art. I used to live in midtown. I get it, but now I've a wife and kids and wouldn't even consider that. Back to my question - Germantown vs Collierville. Does Germantown still have the snob appeal it used to? Does Collierville still have the slightest stigma? All that new construction is alluring, but does it/will it hold its value? Has the traffic in GT gotten completely out of hand. Any insights? Thx

Answers

6
I have read your question with great empathy. I, too lived in Memphis (a native) , got out for good behavior for 12 years (just kidding) and then returned. A lot had changed and somethings remained the same, and others were just misgivings all the way around. I feel your pain!

Depending on how much you have to shell out, what you are really trying to achieve (the future) and what lifestyle is the right fit for you, will depend on the right home purchase.

Both areas have have wonderful attributes. Depending on your budget though, you can be very happy or extremely disappointed. If you want a modern style home with ample square footage for $200K in G'town - you might be disappointed. If you work downtown and want a quick commute - that too might play upon you.

Schools in both area have been considered sought after - it depends on who you ask. They are both in the County School "program". However believe it or not those are not the schools with the largest growth index (the best indicator of top rated and where parents migrate to for their children's education needs).

As far as the snob factor, in my 14+ year real estate career, I find the higher priced home ANYWHERE creates the "entitlement" attitude. I see it from the downtown to the Lakeland communties over to Collierville and in Germantown. I can't say I have every seen it happen in the areas where folks are really living way below their means.

Lastly, your investment for future returns should be based on current and long term data regarding an area. Areas with stability, low foreclosure ranking and good community developement will be key in holding the value plus building equity. Find you a Realtor that understands your goals - you will live happier and make a sound decision - one not based on speculation of what SHELBY Co used like or what is a mob opinion.

Best always,

Jo Shaner
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 23, 2009
Germantown and Collierville are still the cream of the crop in Shelby County. Collierville was a little hotter market sales wise than Germantown but that was the case for 2007 also. The thing you will see when you look at homes in both towns is that Collierville will have the newer style floor plans. Germantown is more classic because many of the homes were built in the 70's and 80's so what you see are some homes that have been updated or some that may be a little dated. The neighborhoods in Germantown are more mature than Collierville as far as trees and landscaping. As far as the value, I wish I had that insight. It has been right behind Germantown for $/sqft and those are some of the most stable numbers we have. There has been a slight but detectable move back to the west (Memphis) because of the economics of living that far from work with most of these going to the East Memphis area but it is not a stamped more like a trickle. Because both are incorporated and will not be exposed if Memphis and Shelby County ever join forces I think you are safe in both it all depends on what type of life style and home you are looking for. I hope this helps, let me know if I can help in anyway
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 21, 2009
i live in fayette county,,,about 10 miles from collierville and about 10 miles from germantown,i love where i am but i can't afford the payments on my house i have it up for sale ,,,i live 10 minutes from oakland and 30 minutes from somerville,,,i have a three bdr 2.5 ba,,i car attached garage with 2.9 acres on a hill with an asphalt drive that goes all the way around the home..it is listed with crye-cleik in memphis,,(mr farris)..901-550-1103,its an older home needs new carpet, it has a well,septic tank has new lines,new garbage disposal,new dbl oven and in the counter top stove...it is well landscaped but has not been as well maintained due to can't do the work anymore,,you will love the country life ,,they have excellent schools.thank you,,the address of the house is 14345 hwy 196 south,,,eads,tn 38028
Both of these communities have done an excellent job in managing their growth. You will not find the "mcmansion next to a trailer" in either community. The thing that I think is important is that Germantown has no growth area; it is completely surrounded by Memphis or Memphis reserve areas on the North, West and South and by Collierville on the east. Collerville has growth areas inside the city and reserve areas on the North and South. I prefer Collierville. I think it has more upside potential in the long term. Many new developments with the newer, more "open" floor plans with higher ceilings, update materials and updated appliances. There are many nice areas in Germantown where existing homes have been "updated" however an updated home is still the same age. As Patty mentions the schools, at all levels, in either community are excellent. There are many youth sports programs in both and good shopping and resturants in both. I think Germantown probably has more traffic issues, but even with that I don't thnk it is a bad problem.

I hope our collective comments have helped you with your questions. If can provide any additional information pease don't hesitate to let me know.

Gerald Williams
Affiliate Broker
Mortgage Loan Officer
BenchMark Realtors, LLC
BenchMark Mortgage, LLC
901-413-2233
gh_williams@yahoo.com
I failed to cover the traffic part of your question, it can be heavy at the rush times but so can Collierville.
Good Morning!
As a mom myself, I have had three kids come through the Farmington, Houston Middle and Houston high school district , which is Germantown, and also one child due to the school board changing the zones- not that we moved-He went to Farmington, then Sycamore, Schilling then Houston middle for one year then HHS.
So we definately have had a view of both school systems- The zoning is different- the people at both schools are diversified and each has its issues. Collierville won several awards this past year , and HHs has had National Scholars awards as well as the sports awards.So it will really be your call! Collierville 's zone does extend into the rural area more-they have a 4-H Club, which Houston does not . Vist the schools, go to the area when the school lets out and see what you think! - I know in my heart it is really what I do , or my husband and I do, that helps to mold these precious things ! Our oldest went on to University of Alabama, and is now a practicing Closing Attorney, and the other daughter is still at Alabama -only four hours away-and is studying Interior Design- on the Deans's list her first and second years! While she was Cheering for Bama !! We have a son, that is still at Houston, playing Rugby, Basketball at the church, and the verdit is still out on his decision for what college to attend. I have three nieces that attended the Collierville high school and they have turned out wonderful !!-I could get you there numbers if you like , the youngest is at Christian Brothers University as a Freshman. I would let the schools and of course the PRICE POINT of what you choose to Pay for a home dictate my decision.-Good Luck !
Web Reference: http://www.PattyEveritt.com