Heather Fern…, Home Owner in San Francisco, CA

Does the fog ever clear up by Ocean Beach?

Asked by Heather Fernandez, San Francisco, CA Mon Apr 23, 2007

I'm considering purchasing a beach front property in the Outer Sunset by Ocean Beach. I hear that the fog is near constant, is this true?

Answers

5
Dave Rivera & Sheila Small’s answer
Hi Heather,
I lived at 46th and Judah for 2 years, and it was a lot sunnier than people seem to think. Everyone would
tell me it was always gray and cold and foggy, but I remember some gorgeous days, and plenty of sunny afternoons. Certainly it is frequently cold and windy and gray, but nowhere near constantly.
I have lived on 39th Ave in the Outer Sunset for 8 years and I have to differ with most of these answers. Also, I work from home so I am here to see the weather all times of day and all year. It is usually overcast in the mornings, almost any time of year. But most of the year, if the forecast for the city is "sunny" it will get sunny here too by noon. And any time of year, it virtually always clears up for the sunset. The worst time of year is summer, late June through mid August is dreary. But that holds for much of SF and other parts on the bay. Remember that old Mark Twain quote: "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". He says SF, not "outer Sunset"! It is colder here though, about 10 degrees colder than the warmest parts of the city. And there is more wind - that is always the case at any coast because the weather comes in from the West. My advice to buyers: if an important property criteria for you is sunshine and hot weather, don't buy in the Sunset (or Richmond, or maybe even SF!) But this area has lots to offer including much better weather than most people give it credit for (you should see my garden - beautiful, including heat loving plants!)
Yes it does but not that often. Best weather is late September, October and early spring. San Francisco is at the tip of a peninsula that is on the Pacific ocean and received the northern winds from off of the ocean. Burr. When the weather is good, those handfuls of days, it is glorious on the beach.
Web Reference: http://www.wilkasgroup.com
This doesn't directly answer your question, but I lived at Geary and 47th for a full summer. The weather was generally cold and foggy, and often when you made the 20-minute drive to downtown, you'd find yourself in an entirely new, warmer climate. But it is a really nice, peaceful area, wide streets, ample parking, and possible even an improving social scene.
The weather in the outer Sunset and Richmond districts is generally not that attractive - because of their proximity to the beach, they're often cold and/or windy/foggy. Plus, you have the salty air that tends to corrode things - it's not like So. Cal where living near the beach = premium pricing, but exactly the opposite in SF! Weather can be 10 degrees F warmer in other 'hoods.