Quality of Life in 11790>Question Details

joe, Home Seller in New York, NY

Does the Town of Brookhaven have a policy on illegal rentals?

Asked by joe, New York, NY Sun Jul 27, 2008

Answers

7
Yes, it would be difficult at this point to find a Township that doesn't.
Absolutely! I would say all townships at this point have policies in place for illegal rentals.
Is renting a room in your house considered "Accessory Apartment"?
Whats the maximum number of rooms that can be rented in one home?
what if the lanlord doesn't live here but still recieved mail here ? this is a house not a apt , does he still need a rental permit ?
Yes, the Town can Fine if Voilated the owner for Illegal apartments. The Town requires "Legal Accessory Apartment" Permit (if the owner lives in the house) and Whole House Permit.
I have the detail Rental Permit Application information, if you like I can fax it to you, please call me 631-889-2997 or email me @ jzilpelwar@yahoo.com, your fax#...Good Luck..
Suggest that you contact their (Town of Brookhaven) accessory apartment department and have them send you a booklet on the fees, rules and regulations regarding the rental and maintenance of home based apartments. Generally rules in this area are extremely strict and very expensive if violated. Code enfoercement people take their jobs seriously with annual (or so) inspections, also neighbors can get upset about illegal rentals.
Absolutely, yes. A housing rental certificate must be on file, both for the home and the apartment as well.