Vern Ungluck, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Does my landlord have to provide me with a notice to leave at the end of a lease?

Asked by Vern Ungluck, Los Angeles, CA Tue Aug 18, 2009

I live in Los Angeles County and my year lease is about to end. I've tried contacting my landlord about renewing the lease, but they are unreachable. What happens if the lease runs out and they do not provide me with a renewal? Do they have to give me notice that they do not want to renew with me or can they simply just not contact me and expect me to leave?

Answers

4
The CA tenants civil code requires the landlord to provide the tenant with "written" notice (either 30-day or 60-day notice.)

If the lease ends, the tenant stays beyond the lease end date, the landlord cash the rent check, then the lease automatically goes into month-to-month.

Month-to-month lease requires the landlord to provide the tenant with written notice (either 30-day or 60-day)

California Tenants Guide: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml

CA Tenants Moving-Out: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/moving-out.shtml

Just a friendly reminder, if you plan to buy a home, then sign a month-to-month lease agreement. This will allow you to move out with a 30-day notice to the landlord. The average real estate transaction is about 45 days so this time line works well with the required notice to your landlord. Don't be entice with one or two year lease for lower rents because homeownership outweighs the benefits of renting.

I hope the information helps.

Email: Contact@ActusPropertySolutions.com
Phone: (888) 525-0125
Absolutely, if the lease is only month to month, you are entitle to at least a 30 day notice, special circumstances may make this time period longer. I would recommend getting out your original lease agreement you signed and go down to legal aid or get some legal advice from an attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 22, 2010
Pull out your lease and read it. Normally there is a provision in the lease indicating what happens when the lease ends. Sometimes it is stated it automatically rolls into month by month. If you pay after your lease is expired and it is cashed it assumes an agreement between tenant and landlord. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 18, 2009
It depends what your lease agreement provides!! Since you have not received a notice, you don't have to leave if you don't want to. Generally, if a written notice is not given to tenant 30-60 days prior to lease termination date, then at completion, the contract becomes month-to-month and you need to give to the landlord a 30 day notice before you vacate. (notices in excess of 30 days must be mutually agreed upon in the contract.)