Reinzga, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

Does evicton appear on background checks?

Asked by Reinzga, Los Angeles, CA Thu Jun 9, 2011

I was evicted in the state of Indiana, and I am applying for jobs in the sate of California. They will perform a background check.

Answers

8
Steve Ornellas’ answer
Reinzga:

The answer depends on what type of background check is being performed. There are service providers that offer menu-style background checks to meet the individual needs of different industries.

Something to keep in mind: many employers are now reviewing facebook pages as part of the hiring process.

Best, Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 10, 2011
Generally evictions DO NOT appear on your credit report. a collection related to the eviction may appear. We manage properties, and we have to order a special credit report to check for evictions.. it is unlikely any employee would order this type of credit report.

Do not feel discouraged, there are plenty of people with foreclosures and evictions in their records right now. I am sure whomever is interviewing you knows at least two or three people that have gone through the situation. Be prepared with a sharp answer if the issue is brought up by the employer... keep it short and sweet, and maybe related to the subprime lending crisis, and you'll be fine.
Probably depends. Here in California, i've never seen eviction , but it can be collections records.

I would agree with Ron Escobar. It is very unlikely they order that detailed report.....
Their hands are full with bigger 'issues', there are so many short sales, foreclosures, bankruptcies~ those records, i heard, might make a difference while applying for a job.

Let us know how it is going and Good luck!
Reinzga,

There is a possibility your out of state eviction may show up on a detailed background check. Depending on the circumstances of the eviction, the saying of "honesty is the best policy" you may want to explain if there were extenuating circumstances of the eviction.
I have helped many people with foreclosures, bankruptcy, low credit scores etc. with their new life they are trying to rebuild.

Best of luck,

Lori Donahoo
Lori,
Just got layed-off and an eviction notice in Texas and have to move and live in my car, I have a little 12 year old Pekingese, as he can't go to a shelter. I an Engineer in Oil & Gas for almost 40 years, but was unemployed for a year recently and what I didn't lose at Enron when I worked there $500,000 my 33 years life savings I lost during my unemployment in 2009/2010. I am being evicted from the apartment that I just spent $5,000 moving into and must be our by court date Thursday. I am single no friends or family to help and I have been so devastated by this, I now have only two days to pack and I have a lot of nice "house size furniture" and only $500 to move, so I may have to leave my treasured Christmas items behind, which is going to make the apartment complex annoyed, but it is what it is. That is from my unemployment of being layed off.. interview to go to Malaysia this week and that is promising please help I am not mentally stable right now it scares me.
Pam
Flag Sun May 19, 2013
I'm going to agree with Ron that some evictions may NOT show up on your credit report but would show up on a background check. If there was a judgement issued (a court order for you to pay the landlord a specified amount) then that would show up on your credit report. However, if it's just an eviction, Ron is correct in stating that is a special report that a employer would have to order in addition to a credit check.
Hi Reinzga:

Eviction may show up on a background check. It also may show up on your credit report. It all depends where the court and/or landlord report the deficiency to and why you were evicted and if there was a default judgment entered against you.

Don't let that deter you from applying for a job. If it come up, just be upfront and tell them your reasons.

Kat
Yes, it will probably show as an unlawful detainer. Dyanna is wise to suggest you check your reports often. Sometimes people find mistakes are listed & it can take some time to get them removed.. It's wise to check all three of them at least once a year; it's free to do.
Evictions can appear on your credit report. You should request a free credit report from the 3 bureaus and find out if your eviction appears on there.