Quality of Life in 02563>Question Details

Richard Leof, Real Estate Pro in Mashpee, MA

Does anyone know why Sandwich doesn't have trash pick-up?

Asked by Richard Leof, Mashpee, MA Wed May 9, 2012

Answers

13
suggest calling town would have to add to an approved budget.. cost to be passed on to residents I am sure- always private pick up is available
Sarah is right. Bourne has curbside trash and recycling pick up. With proximity to the canal and the bridges, plus beautiful beaches and golf courses - Bourne is another great place to live on Cape Cod.
most towns on Cape Cod dont- many use their local town dumps or hire private pick up
Falmouth has municipal trash pick up and maybe anoth town east of Orleans
Sandwich considered it as an option before the "pay to throw" system was put in place. There was quite a bit of debate on this matter. I think for now trash pick up is off the table.
Are you kidding? the towns annual budget ,72% to schools, old folks complaining about paying a 100 dollars for 1 year of transfer station sticker and then cry that other people have more trash then them so the town makes us pay for a sticker and then, we have to buy, trash bags to the tune of .65 cents apiece. They just had to whine, now we all get screwed
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
They don't offer trash pick up by the town though there are many companies who provide service.
Hi Margo, I think Gibbs is the least expensive service.(about $30/month)
I didnt know they didnt- but trying to find service now for my Buyer
Great answer Lisa - we all wonder that about Sandwich don't we? It comes down to finances as it always does. If they added trash pick up they would have to raise taxes in a town with already a fairly high tax rate.

My advice? Move to Bourne! (Only 1/2 kidding, our tax rate is amazing and we have trash pickup).
Good question. We have the highest property tax rate and I often ask myself, "what I am getting in return?" Not only do we not have trash pick up, but we also have to purchase our trash bags from the town. You can however, higher an independent contractor for curb side pick-up. Then there's also the option of moving to Falmouth where they have curbside trash pick-up and a lower tax rate. :O)
Generally speaking, trash pickup is a luxury these days. I would think it is much less expensive for a city or town to run a one stop recycle/trash transfer station rather than trucks and crews for pick up. Less man power is needed to run and a town can sort their trash much easier with a drop off location.

Perhaps it would be better to ask if pick was ever available in previous years.
Trash pick-up can be arranged with private companies.
Sandwich has the transfer station provided by the Town. There you can recycle very easily.
Interesting question... I think that should depend on towns... Which town are you referring to?

Yuan's Team Realty