Brad, Home Buyer in North Aurora, IL

Does anyone have some information on the Ukrainian Village?

Asked by Brad, North Aurora, IL Mon Oct 15, 2007

I'm mostly concerned with information regarding neighborhood safety, atmosphere, and nightlife.

Answers

5
Patti Pereyra’s answer
Ukranian Village has European roots, hence the existence of some very cool ornate orthodox cathedrals. The architecture tends to lean towards bungalows and 2-flats. The community itself has an "old village" type of feel.

It is located next to Wicker Park, a pretty trendy area of Chicago, so you are very close to a variety of restaurants, nightlife, and art galleries.

Public transportation offers easy access to the Blue line and O'Hare, and a 10-minute commute to the Loop.

As for safety, there are definitely some rougher areas than others in Ukranian Village, even though it is an area of Chicago showing rapid gentrification (the whole West Town area, in fact, is showing signs of gentrification, especially closer to Wicker Park). Your best bet would be to stay closer to the Wicker Park boundaries.

So you have the boundaries clearly defined, the boundaries of Ukranian Village are: 500 N - 1200 N (Grand and Division) and 2000 W - 2400 W (Western and Damen)

Wicker Park boundaries are: 1200 N - 1600 N (Division and North) and 1600 W to 2400 W (Ashland and Western)
Patti Pereyra, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL
This is my stomping grounds and I love this area! It's interesting how certain areas are gentrified and I don't know why this one took so long since it is so close to EVERYTHING! This is definitely a neighborhood, so don't expect to find any highrises or large multi-unit buildings. The bigger 3-4 story buildings can be found along Chicago Ave. and Grand Ave. Expect to see Chicago Ave. turn into a bustling thoroughfare (like Division) very soon! There is already a ton of great places near Noble like Five Star, West Town Tavern, Branch 27, Manee Thai and much more.

Further west down Chicago is the newer West Town branch library in the old Goldblatt building. Roots Pizza and Bleeding Heart Bakery opened up not too long ago. Sprout home is a unique and modern plant store on Damen. And Bar Deville is one of my favorite hidden gems at Damen and Huron.

I like the mix of old ornate and sleek modern architecture that exists. I also love that there are these hidden bars and shops within the neighborhoods. It's definitely a work, live, play environment for the local people who live there, which makes it feel homey. But at the same time you are just a bus, cab, or train car away from being anywhere in the city! Gotta love it!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 14, 2012
Ukrainian Village is one of my favorite neighborhoods. There are a lot of great bars and restaurants on Chicago Ave. as well as coffee shops, clothing boutiques and other small stores. I think it's a safe neighborhood, just steer clear of buying anything west of Western Ave. Just my opinion.

It's a beautiful neighborhood in the Spring and Summer. A lot of the Ukrainian families that have lived there forever take painstaking measures to maintain their yards and gardens.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 8, 2010
Hi Brad,

Ukranian Village is made up of Ukranian Village (2000-2400 W) and East Ukranian Village, often referred to as East Village (1600-2000 W). The neighborhood has seen a lot of development and not all of it has been welcome. Alderman Manny Flores has been responsible for working with local neighborhood groups to downzone many streets to allow Single Family Residences and the rehab of existing 2 flats rather than new construction of larger 3 unit condo buildings.
The northern edge of Ukranian Village along Division from a little west of Ashland to almost Western has seen an explosion of new nightlife spots and restaurants (facilitated by the reconstruction of sidewalks and street work completed in 2000). The wide sidewalks allow for restaurants to expand their seating during the summer months and create a vibrant feel during the evenings and at weekends.
Chicago Avenue is also experiencing renewed interest from business owners and the public at large as a shopping/entertainment destination.

All of this has increased walking traffic, created atmosphere and has helped impove neighborhood safety in the general area.

Also, copy and paste the following link for detailed information on Ukranian Village and the surrounding Neighborhoods.

http://www.centerstagechicago.com/neighborhoods/UkrainianVil…

Ken.
Web Reference: http://www.KDRchicago.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2007
Hey Brad,

Great question! We have pulled together some interesting and useful information about Ukrainian Village's crime and community.

Scroll through the tabs to get a sense of what life is like in Ukrainian Village: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Ukranian_Village-Chicago/2…

On a side note, I had a blast at this bar called Blind Robin (great reviews on Yelp too!): http://www.yelp.com/biz/blind-robin-chicago#query:nightlife

Let me know if you have additional questions, happy to be a resource!

Ali, Community Manager