Quality of Life in Sunnyside>Question Details

Lisa, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Does anyone have an opinion on the area of Sunnyside, NY?

Asked by Lisa, New York, NY Sat Jul 12, 2008

The north side of the South side of Queens Blvd? What schools are better? District 24 or 30?
I'm more interested in the area around Sunnyside gardens, like 40 and Skillman? or the side where Greenpoint Ave is better?

Answers

10
Pilar Moreno’s answer
Grew up in the area and it does have many great things about it. Many already listed here. However, not listen is crime and school performances. If you want your money to get good value stick to Forest Hills. The prices are about the same league and you will get more shopping AND much better schools. Our elementary schools are top ( see for yourself on the board of education site) and the Junior High is solid and good, but not excellent. The only high ranked junior high is in Bayside and that is just way too far. Our junior high prefomed at 80% achieving above satisfactory on city test. Bayside scored 90%, clearly better but I can live with those numbers. However, BOTH still far outperformed anything in Sunnyside. The commute is not bad either.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
Stick with Sunnyside Gardens. Sunnyside around Greenpoint is more commercial and further south gets downright unkempt in some areas.

NB- Many of the Sunnyside Gardens have beautfiul tree lined blocks, but the owners haven't put in the necessary upkeep, like pointing, that they should have. The biggerst draw is the private park, but you will probably have to put some money into some needed renovations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 10, 2008
Sunnyside is an amazing area! For school information, you can check their website or look for the school's rating online. Good Luck!

Amy Liu
East Coast Realtors, Inc
Sunnyside Gardens (North side) is big attraction in the neighborhood, plus the farmers market on Saturdays. Now, about South side that also pretty nice, overall its almost the same, North or South. Both are close from subways, supermarket etc. About the schools, please refer to the Board of Education site and also do your due diligence.
All of Sunnyside is very desirable both south and north of Queens Blvd. We are a full service agency so contact us at your earlest convenience so we can start doing your "Homework" for you.

Scott ooper 718-729-6767 ext111
I have lived in The Berkeley Towers for 20 years. Location 52nd Street bet. 52nd St. and 39th Drive (where the park is.) My Bldg. is the Washington. There are 3 Berkeley Bldgs. This is the North Side of Qns. Blvd. I also am a R.E. Broker. This bldg. is 2 blks. to the 7 train. The area has just been improving all the time.

This bldg. is has a wonderful reputation for financial stability and exceptional upkeep. We now have a gym in the basement. Pets allowed.

You can email me at mbodurian@yahoo.com or call 917-676-1148. Margo
There are some areas south that are beautiful and more reasonably priced. Celtic Park Is very well kept Garden apt atmosphere,only 4 blocks to #7 train,24 hr security,close to playgroud and close to churches and both catholic and public schools. Give it a look.Good Luck
I'm a realtor and have been working in Sunnyside Queens for close to eight years and i think its great!
Its very eclectic and only a ten minute commute from the city! if your looking to buy something in this area let me know!
Check the schools website for the schools rankings and stat's Real estate professionals per the code of ethics can’t make those comments on where person should live if you work positively in concert with your real estate agent I am assured you will have solutions to all of your questions resolved. Good luck http://www.lynn911.com http://www.homes-for-sale-dallas.com
Sorry I meant the North Side OR the south side!