Quality of Life in Boston>Question Details

Steve Mansfi…, Other/Just Looking in Warren, ME

Daughter, husband and new baby will be moving to Boston area. They can only afford an apartment right now.

Asked by Steve Mansfield, Warren, ME Mon Feb 11, 2008

She'll be working at St. Elizabeth's in Brighton. What towns should they be looking at? They'd like to have an apartment in a house, rather than live in an apartment building. Would like some parks in the area.

Answers

4
Hi.

There are many options for your daughter and her family in that area. The Oak Square area of Brighton has many great apartments in 2 family houses, as does the Newton Corner/Watertown Square area which is a short distance away. Both areas have access to public transportation (buses) that your daughter can use to get to St. E's. Also, that area is close to the Massachusetts' Turn Pike (Mass Pike), which makes for easy commutes into and away from downtown Boston.

I have lived in Oak Square and Newton Corner, and I would recommend Newton Corner, but that is just opinion. My reasoning is the convenience to restaurants and supermarkets in the area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 11, 2008
My step son lives in Brighton with his mother and the school systems are horrible. Depending on commuting time they could look North of Boston. Malden, Melrose, Medford. My husband works in Watertown and we live in Melrose. He commutes about 40 minutes in rush hour. The schools are better the farther you get away from Boston.
It depends on their price range. In Brookline the adjacent town, they can buy a one bedroom condominium from 280,000 up to $400,000. Parking is needed to rent or buy because there is no overnight parking in Brookline. Many doctors live in Brookline. They need to get pre-approved to find their real price range. Good luck.
Your pre-approval could determine that for you.
There are some nice options in Brighton and around, but before you start looking get pre-approved and than an agent. Watertown does have some nice condo conversions and it is bordering Brighton, but again your price range is the key.