Quality of Life in Columbia>Question Details

Brad Cook, Home Buyer in Utica, NY

Country areas near Columbia.

Asked by Brad Cook, Utica, NY Thu Jan 12, 2012

My family and I are relocating from New York State to South Carolina. We would really love to be near the Columbia area, but my wife would really love an area that is a bit more rural. She basically envisions us sitting on the porch on a nice summer night, drinking sweet tea and the only noise around are the crickets and frogs. Don't laugh, but that's basically how she described it. I, on the other hand, am a "city mouse". So, I don't want to live a long way away from Columbia. So what areas are rural enough to meet my wife's needs, but close enough for a city dweller like me?

Answers

8

The great thing about Columbia, is even though it is a capital city, it is very spread out and has a small town feel. There are plenty of rural areas to choose from and they are all pretty close to an interstate to jump onto and be in the city within 30 minutes or less with little traffic. It also depends on schools, if they are a factor or shopping. Blythewood, for instance, is growing and has many new developments and more in the future.
You should really check on the local law enforcement website and research crime and so forth in all areas. The website is RCSD.net. If you need other areas and schools websites, feel fret to email me or call. I would love to help you find your next home in South Carolina.

Sincerely.

Kim Livoti
ColumbiaLand Realty
cell (803)-318-9549
kim.livoti@gmail.com
There are lots of homes that fit your description. Which side of Columbia do you want, NE, SE, NW? Pick a side and I'm sure I can find you the home. I personally live in Blythewood and I live the life you describe. Close to main roads, yet ridiculously quiet.

Jae Kim, Broker/Owner
EXIT Realty - Columbia, Irmo
803-348-3052
http://www.jaekimhomes.com
http://www.exitres.com
Hello Brad,
A few years back, my husband & I relocated to Columbia from the Northeast as well. We didn't want the city husstle and bustle and were looking for a wonderful level of calm and serenity, but didn't want to be that far away from what the city had to offer. Because of the highway system here (really good) areas we explored were Blythewood, a few areas of northeast Columbia, including Elgin & Pontiac, then Lexington & Chapin. After extensive shopping around, we fell in love with the Blythewood and Elgin areas. We can jump on the highway and be downtown if 15 - 20 minutes, yet when we are home, it's quiet and "sweet tea" peaceful.
Since becoming a realtor here, I'm serving more and more folks who are moving from the New England and Tri State areas and seeking the same thing.........the best of both worlds...... tranquility and closeness to city action (just in case they have the urge) ! I didn't laugh at your wife - she has a really good point!!
I'd love to assist you in that search - especially since my husband & I have experienced the exact same thing!
Jackie Griffin
803-260-6555
jackiedg@aol.com
will agree with Jason King, i lived in Chapin also. It has been a warm and wonderful place to be. My wife and i are moving back to the Chapin are in 2 months and are so excited. I envision my children growing up in an area that has stars to look at and plenty of wild lizards and frogs to catch. if you need some southern comfort, just drive down one of the rural roads and indulge in some fresh made Bar-B-q from one of the local vendors. If shopping is your thing then you can get on the highway easily and in 15 mins be at a plethora of stores. I hope that this is what you are looking for, because if it is CHAPIN is the spot for you. Also im sur if need be Jason would love to show you some areas in Chapin that would please you.
The country areas can be Blythewood, Lexington, or chapin. They could be 30-40 minutes from down town.
Brad,

I grew up in Chapin, SC. I know exactly what your wife is talking about. Chapin has the crickets, frogs and deer. The sky is very clear and filled with stars. It is about 15mins from Harbison and 30 minutes from downtown Columbia, SC. Columbia, SC is like a big town/ small city atmosphere. There are many small rural areas that are convenient to downtown Columbia, SC. Lexington, Chapin, Blythewood and even West Columbia. It all depends on what amenities are important to you. Feel free to give me a call. I'd love to help you find your dream home in or around Columbia, SC. I also offer cash back to my buyers in the form of a buyer rebate.

Jason King
Brad,
I am glad to hear you and your wife have decided to move to the Columbia area.
You will find plenty of homes available that will suit your wife's need to feel like she is secluded from the city life but still convenient enough for you to go out to eat or be close enough to stores etc.
Please email me a few more details about what kind of home you are looking for(i.e. price, size, any other special requirements) and I will send you a detailed list of homes that fit what you are looking for.
I have lived in Columbia all of my life and feel certain I can help you find the perfect home to suit all of your needs.
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
Stan Smith
803-260-0153
stan@stansmithrealty.com
Brad,

There are many "country" areas near Columbia. Blythewood, Kershaw County, Lexington... Because of the way the interstates wrap around Columbia, you can still be around 30 minutes from downtown.

Feel free to contact me and I can give you more information.

Page Latham
Real Estate Professional
Russell and Jeffcoat Real Estate, Inc.
Web Reference: http://www.pagelatham.com