Quality of Life in Redlands>Question Details

M., Home Buyer in Northern Europe

Could someone please give us the pros and cons of living in Redlands, CA? We have family in Riverside, CA

Asked by M., Northern Europe Mon Jul 28, 2008

that we want to be close to, but think Redlands looks more like something we would like. Thanks for the help!

Answers

2
I would like to piggy-back upon Mr Sosa's answer. He has got a lot of information, but the biggest reason for locating and living in Redlands is the resident value systems in this town.
It is like stepping back to the 1950's in a small town in the midwest where everyone talked to each other and were very concerned about taking care of our own. That is, every neighbor is not a stranger but a friend next door. Where the kids show respect to each other and the adults, where the school system is staffed by other local residents and they get to know the kids from generation to generation.
Speaking of the school system, it consistently receive some of the highest academic achievement ratings not only in the state, but nationally as well. While academic achievement is very important for every child, it is also important that every child be recognized for their individuality and given a caring and supportive atmosphere. Children are known by their names not by there academic position.
This type of nuturing environment carries across the entire community. That is, it is not uncommon for you to run into your local neighbors and friends constantly around the town or in neighboring towns as well.
If you are seeking a valued, stable environment in which to raise a family or just to start a great career - Redlands cannot be matched by any other city within So California.
Now in response to the beach or mountains - if you don't want to drive to the beach, the Metrolink rail system is available everyday, including weekends to take you there in about an hour and a-half. presently, you can catch the train at close by stations in San Bernardino or Riverside and get off right at the beach and boardwalk in San Clemente!
By the way, it is planned for the Metrolink system to be extended into downtown Redlands within the next 3-4 years along with the renovation of the entire downtown area of Redlands. The city is committed to recreating the old time atmosphere of the historical legacy of Redlands of years past by restoring the old town buildings along with the establishment of places for peolep to shop day or night or relax in a variety of resturants that are currently being solicited to be added to the downtown redevelopment program.
Presently, there are a number of fine places to eat of a various cuisines from fast food to a sit down 1920's style fine dining 5 course meal at Clara's in downtown Redlands.
My town is not a 'city' it is a place to work and play, live and experience a quality of life unparalelled in any other town within So cal.
Want to learn more - contact me. I'll be glad to share.
How close is Beaumont to Redlands? Who are some of the major/minor employers within about 30 miles?
Flag Tue Jan 21, 2014
Pros of living in Redlands is that it gives you a small town atmosphere; it currently has about 65k people and is considered the "Jewel" of the Inland Empire. Redlands has a lot of culture and tradition. You will enjoy the Redlands Bowl (free) with summer music festivals and Market night, every Thursday night in charming Downtown Redlands. It's a great outdoor farmer's market, suitable for the entire family. Redlands is also known for its Private Liberal Arts College that has been around for over 100 years, the University of Redlands (where I obtained my MBA) and is home to the "Microsoft of the Inland Empire," ESRI, a software mapping company that has a huge presence in the city. If you are into biking, the city is host to the annual Redlands Bicycle Classic since 1984. It's the United States' largest road cycling event, a three-day event for the world's top professional and amateur male and female cyclists, featuring total prizes in excess of $50,000.
The cons of Redlands is that the city pretty much closes down at around 9pm with a few exceptions. It's not like LA or NY where the city never sleeps, Redlands goes to bed at around 9pm except for the local movie theater and a few bars on Orange Ave.(near downtown). Also, Redlands is far from the beach, it will take you about an hour and a half with light traffic to get to the beach and about an hour and a half to get to the mountains (Big Bear). It's kind of far, but its all relevant, I guess. Some would put this in the "PRO" basket since you can go to the beach and skiing all in the same day. But I have lots of friends in Riverside and Orange County that say I live in the "boonies", and with the cost of gas and traffic, I don't blame them. So there you go, I know that I have left out a lot of stuff, but this is the skinny from a local resident and real estate broker.