Quality of Life in 20105>Question Details

Shu163, Both Buyer and Seller in 20105

Can any resident of 20105 tell me about the airplane noise in this area?

Asked by Shu163, 20105 Wed Apr 20, 2011

Lki923’s answer
We recently relocated to Stone Ridge (20105) and I rarely (to never) hear airplane noise. When I have happened to hear airplane noise, I have been outisde in the parking lot shopping at Harris Teeter off of 50 and the noise has been minimal (we have been here for about 4 months and I can only recall 2 times that I have noticed an airplane). It is much more noticeable around the Chantilly Crossing shopping center (significantly louder and closer and subsequently much more exciting for my children)
I live in the Stone Ridge development down the street from the ball field and Minnieland. Yes it gets quite noisy here from the departing aircraft out of Dulles when they're climbing out to the west and then turning southbound right over Stone Ridge. The noise can wake you up in the morning when they start departing just before 6am and in the evening a heavy UPS or FEDX freighter departs after 11pm. The noise level varies considerably depending on which section of the development your house is built. I can say that we've become accustomed to the aircraft noise after living here for 4 years but I'm more concerned about the pollutants from the engines as they're climbing over your house under full power. This is why my family will probably relocate elsewhere in the next few months.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 18, 2014
There is no denying that there is significant air traffic and therefore noise any where around Dulles airport. However, it is both a relative and personal thing. I think it is reasonable to say the noise level is tolerable for most people. But on the other hand, depending on things like the weather, wind, traffic patterns it can be very noticeable. It s a question of how much it has an effect on you personally. I suggest spending time in the area and experience it at different times of the day. I hope that helps some.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 17, 2013
We live in Aldie and the airplane noise is not a factor in the quality of life there.
I have a town home on Clock Tower that is one of the closest to Rt 50. I rarely hear any noise what so ever. For night landings, you can see them all lining up ready to land, pretty nice. The most noise around that are the dump trucks. I have seen the little prop plane across the street take off and land several times and have never heard it because he must take off away from 50 and land coming towards. If you go to Chantilly in Fairfax County and some of Centreville, you WILL be in direct connect with landing patterns and it is not fun.
Brits, Home Owner, Nova, OH
I am NOT a realtor, so let me respond:
The airplane noise is fairly constant, but if you don't mind a little noise, it evetually becomes like "white noise" and you stop hearing it. However, if you have a low noise tolerance level, you'll hate it. Also, international flights (the really big planes) take off between 5-6p and 10-11p, so even if you have a really high tolerance for noise, you'll STILL hear it at these times.
Not worth it, and will negatively impact your resale value when you go to sell. Oh sure, being a fairly new area for development, all of the homes, stores, schools, shops, etc. are squeeky new and pretty, but we all age. Plane noise will really be a big negative then once the homes and community don't have that pretty newness on their side!
There are some beautiful homes going up in that area, but personally I would Just Say No.
Can any resident of 20105 tell me about the airplane noise in this area? So, you can hear the planes from Dulles Airport in Alexandria? Interesting. I AM a Realtor, and an OWNER in STONE RIDGE, VA. The most noise you will hear is from the helicopter excercises they do, mostly on the weekend. Airplanes RARELY go over that neighborhood. I have 2 there, by the way, and I have lived and OWNED (not a renter) since 2003. Brits? More like "Twits"!
Flag Fri Aug 3, 2012
I live in the 20105 zip code, Kirkpatrick Farms. I would agree that every person has a different tollerance for noise so it is hard to say what might bother one might not bother another. In general the noise coming form Dulles is not very loud where i live. I have not had any complaints from my neighbors about airplane noise either. Every so often you might hear a jet passing by but nothing that is constant.
Let me know if you have additional questions about the area.
Steve Dunleavey
Remax Gateway
703 946 5571
Good morning,

As a former resident of South Riding (20152) and one who grew up walking distance from the O'Hare International Airport in Chicago - one thing anyone will tell you is that tolerance for noise levels will vary from person to person. Not to mention traffic patterns for IAD will change several times a day.

I just sold a single family home to clients in the Lenah Run community of Aldie (20105), and they were completely comfortable purchasing, having visited the homesite several times during different times of the day.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions regarding the area or homebuying process in general.

Kind regards,

Lisa Moroniak | REALTOR® | Service360°
SFR - Short Sale & Foreclosure Certified
Phone: 703-635-0388
Fax: 703-679-1701
Licensed in VA
Web Reference: http://www.LisaMoroniak.com