Quality of Life in 75081>Question Details

Frustratedex, Home Buyer in 75081

Can an ex spouse sabotage my efforts to lease a home? I have been approved for the leasing of 2 homes now.

Asked by Frustratedex, 75081 Thu Jul 9, 2009

Just days prior to the move in of these homes I was informed by the homeowner's agents that I would be unable to move in for various reasons. I have to notify my ex (per divorce decree) my address if I move (because we have children involved). After I have notified my ex of my new address - sure enough the agreements have been canceled. Is it possible he is contacting the owners of the properties and sabotaging my efforts?

Answers

3
Possible. It's hard to know whether you should directly confront your ex without knowing either of you or the specific circumstancs. How would it benefit him if you didn't find a place to live? If you really believe he is doing this, I'd recommend that you consult an attorney to help you. Beyond trying to get the real reasons for the terminated agreements from the landlord's agent, legal help is probably your best bet.
Undeteremined if he is or is not have you investigated and contacted these owners? Review the divorce papers I believe there is a window of notice to X, perhaps notify after you have moved than prior.

Till you have an executed lease agreement all monies paid why would a home owner terminate your lease?

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Lynn91
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
It's certainly possible. However, what are the reasons given that you're not allowed to lease? Could they be legitimate?

Also, I'm not a lawyer and don't have your divorce decree in front of me, but what's the requirement on the timing of the notification to your spouse of your move? If it's prior notice, can you provide notice, say, 12 hours prior to occupancy? Or if it doesn't require prior notice, can you notify your ex immediately upon move-in?

Or have you asked your ex whether he knows what's going on?

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA