peggy_edmonds, Renter in Klamath Falls, OR

Can I, a single mom be evicted to the streets for requesting mold clean up?

Asked by peggy_edmonds, Klamath Falls, OR Wed Apr 25, 2012

suffer from a menagery of respritory ailments, just to name a few.(c.o.p.d., sinus infection, undiagnosed seizures, not to mention the stress and loss of family pet) Im very low income and never expected a reputible company to put our family out after 3.5 years of perfect rental history.

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi, I would seek some sort of legal assistance. Try to get a referral from someone you know or do some reseearch online. I would also keep a paper trail of all dialogue with your landlord or management company. I would only communicate with them through email so that everything is documented, if possible. The other factor to consider is being able to prove that is why they are evicting you.

Good luck!!!!!

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
Peggy, the housing authority is not designed to offer legal council. If you are low-income, you could go to Legal Aid. Also, if you live in Oregon, if you have lived in your home for more than 1 year they must give you a minimum of 60 days notice to vacate, unless its for cause. This can be for a lease violation or for non-payment of rent. If they are telling you to move due to a health hazard, then It seems to me that it would be wise to relocate.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2012
The housing authority is a good place to seek council and advice. In most cases a land lord will and can give a 30 day notice without giving any reason and this is how notice is most often given. Lack of paying rent does not take a 30 day notice. Your perfect history and being a single parent has nothing to do with your eviction. If you were given the notice to vacate that stated that you were being removed for complaining about unsafe living conditions then you probably have a pretty easy case. If it states that it is for clean up then it may not be so easy if there is a case at all and if there is no reason at all given (the most common) then it would likely be a very difficult case. You should seek competent legal advice and there are many sources for you to do that with low or no cost to you. You might even talk to the local HUD representative.
I hope this helps and that you are able to get things settled in a beneficial way for you.
Ron Rogers
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
The short answer is "no", but this is probably far more complicated than that. Being a single mother does not enter into it. It may be considered reasonable for them to ask you to vacate while the mold is being remediated. These are all questions best presented to an attorney rather than to an agent who is not intimately familiar with your case.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
Hi Peggy, I'm sorry to hear that you find yourself in a difficult situation. I agree with Christopher, a paper trail is absolutely necessary - print out any emails or letters you sent requesting the remediation and keep any responses that were mailed to you. Also, keep a record of calls w/ date and time, what was said etc.

The scenario described just doesn't sound right. If you have a written lease check it for the provisions that tell you how your lease can be terminated. We are not lawyers, however, and cannot give you any legal advice. It may be best to see if you can get a consultation with a legal counsel.

Also, check your county website for landlord-tenant affairs and see if you can get help through the local Housing authority, non-profit groups etc.

Good luck & best wishes.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 25, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer