philly1980, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

Bedbugs in rowhome - possible infection from neighbors.

Asked by philly1980, Philadelphia, PA Sun Aug 18, 2013

I live in a row home that I own in Philadelphia, and have been battling bed bugs for about a year. In the last year, my boyfriend and I have done the following treatments - one exterminator that came 3 separate times (spraying and putting down dust). When that didn't work, we got a new exterminator, who heated treated the entire house, not once, but TWICE. That last treatment was in July, and we just discovered that the bugs came back. Heat treatment is the most effective treatment, and he heated the house to 130 degrees for 3 hours. All bugs should have been dead permanently. This has cost us over $2000 out of pocket for treatment, and we are back to where we started!

Since we live in a rowhome, and have done above and beyond to get treatment and keep from being reinfected, we suspect that the neighbors may have bugs. We want to know what our rights are in regards to them and if they are causing the bed bug re-infestation.

Answers

3
I have the same issue as you and I know for sure that my neighbors are causing our infestation. It has forced us to move out. Have you found out if we have any rights? I can only find information about tenant/landlord situations, not owner/owner situations. We are beyond stressed and furious. Any help or information is appreciated
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
Chris is correct you need to speak with an attorney now from the non Realtor side of my brain call 311 and have an Inspector from L&I contact you in reference to what complaints you can file, also depending on your income you may be able to obtain FREE legal help from Community Legal. If need Please call me 215-725-5700 X49

Philip J. Cunningham Sr.
V.I.P. Realty Corporation
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19152
215-725-5700X49 cell 267-934-1971
philcunningham2004@yahoo.com
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
I contacted L&I recently and was told that there's nothing that anyone from the city (Philadelphia also) can or does do about it, and that we could talk to an attorney. Our neighbors deny that they have a problem- and we haven't been on good terms with them- ever really. I took a photo at one point of a matress that was horribly stained and obviously infested that they put on the sidewalk just wrapped in kitchen plastic wrap. I just wonder if the expense of an attorney is worth it if the neighbors are welfare- fed alcoholics who most likely don't even care if the legal system tells them they have to deal with the problem.
Flag Wed Oct 15, 2014
Being that your question stems around your "rights," you may want to consult an attorney. However, I truly wish you the best.

Chris Nelson
RE/MAX SERVICES
Philadelphia Magazine Five Star Award Winner 2012
National REO Broker Association (NRBA) Member
REOMAC Member
REOBroker.com Member
794 Penllyn Pike, Ste. 120
Blue Bell, Pa 19422
215.641.2500 Main
215.641.2542 Fax
484.576.7430 Cell*