Quality of Life in Mission>Question Details

Kendra, Renter in San Francisco, CA

As a young, single woman, which parts of The Mission are safe at night?

Asked by Kendra, San Francisco, CA Mon Jan 9, 2012

I'm looking for an inexpensive area of San Francisco to move to. I have heard that the Mission is cheap but parts can also be dangerous, particularly at night. Is this true? If so, which parts of the mission are safer than others? (specific cross streets are appreciated)

Answers

4
Derek Reynolds’ answer
I'd say anywhere west of Valencia is pretty safe. This is close to the Mission/Noe Valley border. I'll often walk along Valencia late at night when coming home and feel pretty safe. You can also check out the crime map here and get a general idea of what areas might be safer than others: http://www.trulia.com/crime/#!san-francisco-ca/13/37.77096,-…
Crime in The Mission varies based on area. Here is an overview of the crime: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Mission-San_Francisco/1436…

16th and Mission -
The pocket around 16th and Mission is largely because there are many bars, BART, and quite a few homeless people that loiter around that area. It's not particularly violent, but there has been some more violent crimes recently.

South of 24th Street -
If you are wondering south of 24th street, that area can be a bit more dangerous. 24th street itself is safe, but I would avoid walking alone south of it.

24th and Mission -
Again, this area has a cluster a nonviolent crimes because of the BART station and foot traffic that comes through. Though I would say that area is particular dangerous.

Other than that, The Mission is fairly safe, with it's sprinkling of small crimes here and there.
I live at around the corner of 24th and Potrero and I can tell you it's definitely NOT too safe around there. However, the rent is a bit cheaper and it's not too hard to find street parking if you have a car. Also, buses run along both 24th and Potrero pretty frequently.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 25, 2012
Mission Dolores/Valencia Corridor are great. But I wouldn't say it's an inexpensive part of town to live in.