Quality of Life in Fremont>Question Details

Angie, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

Are there major health hazards in living near a freeway or major road that should concern us?

Asked by Angie, San Jose, CA Sat Jan 29, 2011

We are considering a home about 500 feet from the I 880... Honestly, we don't mind the noise -- it's not terribly loud, and we can't see the freeway from the home, but we are a bit concerned about health hazards for living near a freeway. We have done some reading on research done on the air quality, etc., but if you have any further information or advice in this area, that would be great! Thanks.

Answers

8
Research says yes, especially if you have children

http://www.ehjournal.net/content/6/1/23
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 21, 2014
Hi Angie,

Buying a house close to the freeway or major road will be a concern from a resale point of view.

Most buyers I work with don't even want to look at homes close to the freeway. Then there are some that seem to feel that as long as the noise is not too loud, they are fine with it, especially if they are getting a good deal on that house when compared to other homes in the neighborhood that are away from the freeway.

Consider the fact that if you leave the window open at night in the summer, will the noise bother you? You may not hear the noise if the windows are closed especially if there are dual paned windows.

As far as major health issues, you can never be sure. It seems like the air quality may be effected.
Keep in mind, there is a buyer for every house, it just depends at what price?

Meena Gujral
925-425-9491
http://www.helpusellachievers.com
I used to live across the street from highway 85. Most of the time the noise didn't bother me. Those occasional midnight motorcycles could be heard for miles. I don't know if there are any health hazard studies. What I found out is that we had a lot more dust. I imagine it was from all the cars breezing by.
Web Reference: http://terrivellios.com
Angie,

It seems inescapable with that many cars going past you day and night that your air quality is going to be affected. I believe there have also been some studies on noise affecting developing children but I don't have the research handy.

Whether or not it will affect you physically or not, it will definitely affect you on resale value. There is a large chunk of the buying population that simply won't buy that close to a freeway no matter what the price. Why would you put yourself in that position? Unless you are planning to stay there the rest of your life, it doesn't make sense unless you are getting it so cheap that resale doesn't matter.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Hi Angie,
I think air quality affects different people in different ways.
I personally would not live close to a freeway again.
I also would not stand in the garage with the car running either.
Obviously it is a concern or you would not have brought it up.
If you have children, you might want to think about their voice that they know not of to say anything about it.
While you are at it, power lines are something to be concerned about as well.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomesrealestate.com
http://www.socalhomesrealestate.com
California Department of Real Estate License # 01312992
I bought a home close to major road about 9 years ago and similar home on the street away from the road sells for $150K more, I decided to buy the home and I never regret my decision.So it's personal choice.If you can leave with noise and smog and living for long time in this home, it's ok to buy this home.
The noise may not bother you, but it does bother most people. It can be difficult to sell your house later. If you can find a house farther from a main road it's better. Good luck!
Hi Angie,

The main issue with owning property in a close proximity to a freeway or major traffic is the "road noise" associated with it. After living there for a while, it becomes less noticable for the residents, however, for the buyer it can becoma a "major" factor and even the reason why they move on to explore other opportunities.

If seriously considering a home in one of these area, making sure you get a good deal when purchasing may go a long way in protecting your investment when it comes time to sell.