Quality of Life in Greentown>Question Details

Bradley, Home Buyer in

Are there any gay friendly communities surrounding Lake Wallenpauapack? Any gay realtors?

Asked by Bradley, Sat Sep 22, 2007

Answers

11
Silvia -

I completely (and respectfully) disagree with you. In your earlier response you stated "Actually, we are not allowed by law to discuss such matters as: race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, etc. when discussing Real Estate." We, as agents, are not allowed to DISCRIMINATE based on the aforementioned characteristics. My understanding of our moral and ethical professional responsibilities does not lead me to think I cannot discuss these things in an open forum. Discussion leads to education and education to prevention. Most importantly, answers like Tricia's (or the first post which was deleted), directly provide information that are helpful (not to mention lawful) to the original question.

Maybe I am way off base here, but I personally do not equate someone's request for a Realtor with a certain characteristic (whether that be male/female, heterosexual/homosexual, young/old) to be a problem. Buyers and sellers should have the right to work with whomever they choose or feel more comfortable with.

Thanks -
Jason
I am curious as to why there was a post deleted on this thread? Anyone help by answering that? Someone answered the original question by pointing Bradley to http://www.gayrealestate.com

Being a straight Realtor, I never entertained the thought of such a web site, but it actually exists and looks to be well put together...I first thought the response was a joke, but soon found out it was not. Now the post is deleted. It was the perfect answer to the question asked, so why delete it?

Jason
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2007
I AM A REALTOR IN THE LAKE WALLENPAUPACK AREA. AS OTHERS HAVE RESPONDED ABOUT "STEERING" IT IS TRUE WE FOLLOW ALL PA REAL ESTATE CONSUMER LAW AND DO NOT OFFER PERSONAL OPINONS. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HELP WITH YOUR SEARCH OFFERING MY PROFESSIONAL SERVICE. IT REALLY IS A BEAUTIFUL PART OF NORTHEAST PA WITHIN EASY DRIVING DISTANCE TO NY AND NJ.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 28, 2007
Bradley there are definately many realtors nation wide who are either gay-friendly or cater directly to the gay niche market - Gay Real Estate.com, Homelounge.com, gayrealestateplanet.com, lesbianhomes.comand gaymortgageloans.com are all devised to assist gays and lesbians buyers and sellers to find non-judgmental or discriminating agents nationwide.

You may also like to visit gayghettos.com, which lists American gay-freindly and gay neighborhoods as well as gayhome.com, which includes LGBT rental listings.

Lastly, an excellent resource for the latest in gay real estate news is Gay RealEstate USA this may be found at gayrealestate.typepad.com

I hope this helps and wish you the best in finding a new home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2007
Bradley,

That's what I'm talking about. Michele Great Job! If I were an Agent in that area, that would be a very professional way to approach the inquiry.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2007
I think that steering which there is a law against may be a problem associated with this. I can't write anymore. Going to work.
Hi Jason & Tricia,

First Jason, I was the only person who answered your post. You asked why posts were removed. I thought I was being helpful. That was the way I learned it. True "Discriminate" is what is not allowed by Law. However, it could be unconfortable, if you take it out of the context of helping one specific group. Perhaps I should have said Ideally. Helping people is a great thing. This is what we do.

Tricia,

I am hispanic. I know plenty about the real world. I know quite well we do not live in a perfect world. I also don't want to be treated differently. Just as well as everyone else. I am personally not familiar with there being a problem with discrimination against gays buying real estate. So if there is I am sorry. I
Silvia, in a ‘Perfect World’ discrimination does not occur; unfortunately in the ‘Real World’ this is far from the truth.

Personally, I feel that it is ethical for a person or organisation to target a niche if the association behind it is driven by compassion and understanding for the group that they are targeting, especially, if they themselves are a member of the niche that they cater to because they have witnessed discrimination firsthand. In fact, many organizations are started because individuals become frustrated and concerned with the lack of care, consideration and trust that has been displayed whilst they have worked within an organization that is supposed to be non-discriminatory.

Freedom of choice, as Jason aptly states is a buyers and sellers right and by suggesting sites or organizations that will understand Bradley's request I am aiding in him finding a suitable realtor that will cater specifically to his needs. These sites list hundreds of possibilities and ultimately Bradley and others who are in his situation are 'Free' to decide whom they work with.
Hi Tricia,

Are agents judgemental or discriminating? Are not all Buyers and Sellers consumers? Why would someone be treated differently or specially one from the other? Would not someone help a buyer or seller to buy or sell regardless of them perhaps being a member of any group? Male, female, color, age, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, financial situation, etc? Would it be ethical or legal for a professional to target a specific group for financial gain? If it is a referral network I may understand. A lot of questions.
Hi Jason,

True and there was another post about steering and federal violations also deleted. Sometimes people change their minds. I originally was thinking about posting but did not. Actually, we are not allowed by law to discuss such matters as: race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, age, etc. when discussing Real Estate. Exception may be when we are looking for housing for a handicapped accessible situation or adult community. A Real Estate professional cannot give information on these subjects. Let the buyer know that we are not allowed to discuss the above and encourage that we stick to the Real Estate transaction and they should follow up on any other information on a particular property or area they are interested in, as there is plenty of public sources of information out there today. If any of my information is innacurate, please let me know.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2007
The link below may be able to help you. LGBT Homes.com
Web Reference: http://www.lgbthomes.com
Cindi Hagley,…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA