Quality of Life in Austin>Question Details

Nancy,  in Austin, TX

Anybody care to offer an architect advice about marketing my services?

Asked by Nancy, Austin, TX Sun Oct 7, 2007

Hi! I'm an architect with licensure in Colorado who recently moved to Austin (I'm in the process of getting Texas reciprocity, but until that is complete, I'm just doing residential work). I started my own design firm a couple of months ago, and I'm wondering if anybody has any advice about innovative ways to market my design services to real estate professionals and/or individual homeowners.

Thanks so much!

Call every architect in town and see if they have any "spill over" work for you to do. That way you'll bridge the time from help to full employment.
For the real estate community you might be able to become a Realtor Affiliate member of the Local Association of Realtors in Austin. This could get you entrance into marketing meetings and events where local Realtors will be present. You can identify Realtors who market "land" or "Buildable Lots" who may wish your services for future reference for a client buying either the lots/acreage they market. You could also wish to provide some "artists renderings" for the more "upscale" properties. Also, go to the City of Austin and ask to get a list of lot splits currently being processed by the city. You could then market to the project's owners and see if they have chosen an Architect yet. Commercial builders also as commercial Realtor/Agents. There are many, many ways to lead generate in your field. Good luck! I'm currently taking a Rome achitecture class at our local college taught by an architect and former Rome city guide. He's on fire about the subject the the architecture, especially the development use of "concrete" is amazing. More so when you consider the process was "lost" until rediscovered in the 18h century! Fascinating stuff!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2007
Join the local neighborhood groups in yahoo and start talking about your work. Of course the best way is to have a few projects in the works, nothing says I'm the real deal like hosting an open house in a home you designed! I've been to a couple of events sponsored by title companies that promote green building. You could start by providing a website for your webfolio. Let us look at your work. Send an Eflyer!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2007
Mingle, mingle. Join different associations... i.e., Chamber of Commerce. Introduce yourself to Builders, Architectural Review Boards in Upscale Communities, and Realtors. Have your portfolio ready.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2007
I would start going to realtor events. I think Keller Williams has a few big parties every so often.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2007
I'd say start taking realtors to lunch and showing them your portfolio. We have clients frequently asking us for referrals to architects and builders.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2007
Dear Nancy,
I am one of the 809 Realtors with Keller Williams in the Southwest Market Center. We have a weekly sales meeting each Tuesday at 9:00am. Please call me and I can give you the details on how to sponsor one of these meetings with breakfast and speak about your services. There are usually about a hundred agents at the meeting. Also we have a monthly magazine that you can place ads in. There are 50,000 copies of magazine which go out to a number of locations throughout Travis county. I can help you with that as well. Send me an email or call me 512-771-6318 and I can send you the forms.
Hi Nancy!

Our Keller Williams office has over 600 agents and the south office has over 800. You might want to consider calling and asking if you can do a presentation at one of our weekly sales meetings. You might be on the hook for providing donuts or breakfast but you will get to meet a lot of us.

Web Reference: http://www.LeanderHomes.com
Thank you so much for all the good suggestions! I had thought that my profile linked to my website, but I find to my dismay that it didn't! Argh!

Anyway, Here it is:

Again, thank you so much for your time and your help!
Web Reference: http://www.4m-studio.com/