Property Q&A in Roselle Park>Question Details

Michelle, Home Buyer in Elizabeth, NJ

would i be able to fight my taxes? how?

Asked by Michelle, Elizabeth, NJ Tue Sep 4, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


You can fight your assessed value of your home, not your "taxes"
The best time to do this is around nov and dec. Before the end of the fiscal year. Make an appointment with your tax assessor. Take with you your comps.
Speak with them one on one. Do not get argumentative. Just state the facts and the difference of the values and what you think the value needs to be.

What Andrew and Gina said is true. More specifically...
There are 33 non usable deed transactions you cannot use to compare to your home.

If at this time you cannot come to terms with your tax assessor then you will need to appeal your situation with the county. Your assessor will give you that information. You can use an attorney, but they will hire an appraiser which will cost approx $400. plus attorney fees. However if you are not comfortable going before a board of approx 7 people against you (1) then an attorney may be your best bet.…

Good luck. Use a local real estate pro to give you your values. MAke sure they only use those deed transactions allowed by law to compare to your home.

Search foreclosures and short sale here:

Want to see all homes fro sale in your area?
Search the MLS on your phone by Text: Phone number 87778 Subject . LSAR1... hit send... A GPS feature for listings at your finger tips. You will see all listings for sale around your home.

Larry Sarlo
RE/MAX Preferred
609-868-1171 call / text / email 7 days
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 4, 2012
To dispute your property taxes, you must be able to show that you are paying at least 15% more than similar homes in your price point. The tax assessor for your town can provide the deadlines for your application, and the time frame for which the comparable homes were sold. If your appeal is not successful through your town, you can then appeal on the county level. You can do this on your own, or you can hire an attorney who specializes in tax appeals. Most attorneys who do this only charge you if the appeal is successful. For recommendations, or to discuss in further detail, please give me a call
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 4, 2012

you can not fight the taxes but you can fight the assesment value of your home.
Check with your town on the process for your town.
You will probably need the help of a Realtor to show comparable homes sales for your home. The town will give you the criteria that the want. usually no short sale or bank sale comps and sales between a certain date.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer